Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Iguazu!

CraigM

Huge thanks to everyone for talking me into Iguazu, holy bananas that place is awesome and not at all like Niagara. I did almost no planning but had a fantastic time in less than 24 hours.

I was schedule to land around 4:30pm yesterday and start with the full moon tour, but flight was delayed 5 hours and I didn't arrive at my hotel until 10pm. That meant visiting both the Brazil and Argentina sides of the falls in one day, which turned out to be very doable.

I woke up early this morning, had a leisurely coffee and left the hotel around 7am for the Brazilian side. They have excellent taxi drivers in Iguazu that speak very good English and will guide you through everything. If you dislike public tours (like me) then taxi drivers are all you need here. My driver informed me that the park didn't open until 9am but I could make a breakfast reservation at the Belmond hotel and go straight through, which he took care of and turned out to be a 5-star recommendation. The trails start at the hotel and I found myself standing on the main platform in right in front of the falls for an hour by myself, getting showered with mist, and had the rest of the park to myself for another half hour before the tour buses arrived (you really want to split at that point, the trails are limited and narrow and it must be slow going with so many people). I went back to the Belmond and enjoyed a stellar brunch for about $35, never saw such variety of food and exotic juices. They even had vodka for bloody mary's and champagne for mimosas. The early bird finally got the worm in Argentina!

From there I took the hotel shuttle back to the park entrance where my taxi driver was waiting to take me to the hotel for a quick shower and then on to the Argentine side. You really want to spend the majority of your time here, there are far more trails and viewing areas which spreads out the crowds and makes it very tolerable. I walked non-stop for four hours, took every trail by foot including the devil's throat, took dozens of pictures and videos. Ended the day at the Gran Melia Iguazu enjoying a beer and glass of wine.

What a day. I'm already at the airport flying back to BA for my first 11pm dinner!

Huge thanks to everyone for talking me into Iguazu, holy bananas that place is awesome and not at all like Niagara. I did almost no planning but had a fantastic time in less than 24 hours.

I was schedule to land around 4:30pm yesterday and start with the full moon tour, but flight was delayed 5 hours and I didn't arrive at my hotel until 10pm. That meant visiting both the Brazil and Argentina sides of the falls in one day, which turned out to be very doable.

I woke up early this morning, had a leisurely coffee and left the hotel around 7am for the Brazilian side. They have excellent taxi drivers in Iguazu that speak very good English and will guide you through everything. If you dislike public tours (like me) then taxi drivers are all you need here. My driver informed me that the park didn't open until 9am but I could make a breakfast reservation at the Belmond hotel and go straight through, which he took care of and turned out to be a 5-star recommendation. The trails start at the hotel and I found myself standing on the main platform in right in front of the falls for an hour by myself, getting showered with mist, and had the rest of the park to myself for another half hour before the tour buses arrived (you really want to split at that point, the trails are limited and narrow and it must be slow going with so many people). I went back to the Belmond and enjoyed a stellar brunch for about $35, never saw such variety of food and exotic juices. They even had vodka for bloody mary's and champagne for mimosas. The early bird finally got the worm in Argentina!

From there I took the hotel shuttle back to the park entrance where my taxi driver was waiting to take me to the hotel for a quick shower and then on to the Argentine side. You really want to spend the majority of your time here, there are far more trails and viewing areas which spreads out the crowds and makes it very tolerable. I walked non-stop for four hours, took every trail by foot including the devil's throat, took dozens of pictures and videos. Ended the day at the Gran Melia Iguazu enjoying a beer and glass of wine.

What a day. I'm already at the airport flying back to BA for my first 11pm dinner!
Glad you went! I read other people talking you into going and glad they did! Nothing at all like any other water falls I've been to. Belmond is really nice. I had brunch there before and quite the spread! Very good bargain compared to how expensive those rooms are there. I couldn't stay there as it would have broke the bank but I did eat there.

I also just used a taxi driver to get around. 1 day is pushing it for a non-rushed 2 side trip but doable. Both sides are very different. Taking the boat trip up the river and hitting both sides is probably impossible. Glad you got to visit. My my you are certainly staying busy.

Hey @CraigM. I told you that you would like it. Not sure what the issue is on those flights but my flight also was delayed many hours both going there and also leaving. Thanks for the good tip on the Belmond breakfast. I am coming back with a friend that wants to visit Iguazu. Glad that you weren't disappointed in it. Did you end up staying at the Gran Melia hotel? Safe flight back.

Glad we could talk you into going! I'm sure more memorable than Mendoza. I have visited the Falls several times as I have friends or family that will visit me in BA and want to hit another city since they are all the way down to Argentina. I have never had anyone disappointed or regret coming. Your experience sounds lovely. A shame on the delay of flight but that is not uncommon in Argentina. Let me guess? You flew Aerolineas Argentina? They are known for delayed flights.

I loved the Belmond! That is where I stayed. That is terrific value for the breakfast. I had a rate that included the breakfast so didn't know it was so affordable. The rooms are on the expensive side but it was worth it.

That is much to take in just 24 hours. But glad you got to visit both sides. It is truly magical. How nice members of this forum could talk you into going.

Glad you went! I read other people talking you into going and glad they did! Nothing at all like any other water falls I've been to. Belmond is really nice. I had brunch there before and quite the spread! Very good bargain compared to how expensive those rooms are there. I couldn't stay there as it would have broke the bank but I did eat there.

I also just used a taxi driver to get around. 1 day is pushing it for a non-rushed 2 side trip but doable. Both sides are very different. Taking the boat trip up the river and hitting both sides is probably impossible. Glad you got to visit. My my you are certainly staying busy.
Thanks! I didn't stay at Belmond either, the Mercasur was $130 for a 5-star including a very good breakfast spread. The $400-500 you save can be far better spent on taxis, meals, generous tips etc especially if you're just dumping your bag and crashing for the night. If my family was traveling with me though, I would definitely spend a night or two at the Melia or Belmond. They're pretty special places and good for families and relaxing.

Hey @CraigM. I told you that you would like it. Not sure what the issue is on those flights but my flight also was delayed many hours both going there and also leaving. Thanks for the good tip on the Belmond breakfast. I am coming back with a friend that wants to visit Iguazu. Glad that you weren't disappointed in it. Did you end up staying at the Gran Melia hotel? Safe flight back.
Thanks! I stayed at the Mercasur and saved $400-500. I rarely stay at the best places when traveling solo because I'm always on the move. My family however is a different story!

Glad we could talk you into going! I'm sure more memorable than Mendoza. I have visited the Falls several times as I have friends or family that will visit me in BA and want to hit another city since they are all the way down to Argentina. I have never had anyone disappointed or regret coming. Your experience sounds lovely. A shame on the delay of flight but that is not uncommon in Argentina. Let me guess? You flew Aerolineas Argentina? They are known for delayed flights.
Hi Betsy, actually FlyBondi was late on the way there. Aerolineas managed to arrive back a few minutes early, which was good because I met up with my pal for our first late night dinner and I was hanging on by my finger nails!

I loved the Belmond! That is where I stayed. That is terrific value for the breakfast. I had a rate that included the breakfast so didn't know it was so affordable. The rooms are on the expensive side but it was worth it.

That is much to take in just 24 hours. But glad you got to visit both sides. It is truly magical. How nice members of this forum could talk you into going.
You can say that again, what a special place that is.

Great! How was the weather @CraigM? Were the mosquitos bad there?
The weather was fabulous, felt like Hawaii. I quickly glanced at the weather forecast before stuffing some clothes in a day pack, it said 18 to 30 so I assumed that was Fahrenheit because it's winter so I packed my puffy with hat and gloves, luckily also packed some workout clothes. I didn't notice any mosquitos.

The weather was fabulous, felt like Hawaii. I quickly glanced at the weather forecast before stuffing some clothes in a day pack, it said 18 to 30 so I assumed that was Fahrenheit because it's winter so I packed my puffy with hat and gloves, luckily also packed some workout clothes. I didn't notice any mosquitos.
How great the mosquito issue wasn't bad. Ususally don't have issues but this year has been special with the mosquitos here. Wonderful 24 hour trip. Welcome gack in BA.

Thanks! I didn't stay at Belmond either, the Mercasur was $130 for a 5-star including a very good breakfast spread. The $400-500 you save can be far better spent on taxis, meals, generous tips etc especially if you're just dumping your bag and crashing for the night. If my family was traveling with me though, I would definitely spend a night or two at the Melia or Belmond. They're pretty special places and good for families and relaxing.
Agree Belbond should be for special occasions or if you have unlimited $$$$. Most of the time you are busy out doing things. But I have gone to Belmond when I was dating a girl and trying to impress her. For family I probably wouldn't waste the money either because always out of the hotel except at night.

Hi Betsy, actually FlyBondi was late on the way there. Aerolineas managed to arrive back a few minutes early, which was good because I met up with my pal for our first late night dinner and I was hanging on by my finger nails!
Sounds like you got used to the late night lifestyle!

How funny about the weather and thinking it was F. You must have been pleasantly surprised! You pulled off a great trip so far. Later you will have to get to know more of Argentina and Brazil. Beautiful countries.

You can say that again, what a special place that is.
Great report! So @CraigM you liked the Argentina side better? I liked the Brazil side better. Walking the Devil's throat being right above the waterfall was incredible. Argentina side is also cool.

You will have to come back with your family. Not sure if they will ever come to Argentina but a good excuse to come back! My parents are coming to BA for Christmas and I am taking them there. Thanks for posting about that breakfast at Belmond. I will take them there. That Mercasur at $130/night sounds like a great deal!

Hey I told you that you would love the Falls! I is nice you didn't let the delayed flight ruin your goal of seeing both sides. Sometimes that happens to people and they just give up and see only one side. You can't appreciate Iguazu without seeing both sides of it. Glad you did that!

Hi @CraigM,

I'm very happy that you took the advice of so many members and decided to visit Iguazu. I've never met anyone that wasn't absolutely blown away by it. I have gone several times including with my kids and each time is like the first time. Like others mentioned, glad you could see both sides. Welcome back to Buenos Aires and hope you have a great rest of your trip.

@CraigM did you ever make it on that helicopter tour? Doesn't sound like it.
I did not David, partly due to time but also I found the constant helicopter noise around the park really irritating and decided not to contribute to it. They've done such a wonderful job making Iguazu so accessible without ruining its natural beauty (if you've been to Niagara you appreciate this a great deal), it's odd they allow such a nuisance to occur. More good news for early risers though, the first helicopter didn't hit the skies until 10:30 or 11am.

I did not David, partly due to time but also I found the constant helicopter noise around the park really irritating and decided not to contribute to it. They've done such a wonderful job making Iguazu so accessible without ruining its natural beauty (if you've been to Niagara you appreciate this a great deal), it's odd they allow such a nuisance to occur. More good news for early risers though, the first helicopter didn't hit the skies until 10:30 or 11am.
Agree you don't need a helicopter at Iguazu. I think just being there walking the trails and seeing over the waterfall or taking a raft up the River is all you need. Doesn't get much better!

Back