Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Apartment Rental Is Airbnb the best place search a couple of months rental?

Airbnb is by far the best with the most extensive list of properties and the best protection for the tenant. The other sites are VRBO, Homeaway, Flipkey.com But none of them are as good as Airbnb. You can use filters on Airbnb and find what you want. Also, you can do searches by SuperHost which almost guarantee a flawless stay. I've used Airbnb all over the world when I travel and it's really wonderful.

Local sites like https://bytargentina.com are pretty good. They are reputable and been around a really long time. They have some affordable options. But you still have the hassles of dealing with the property owner of a property. They are mainly a listing portal. The biggest problem of dealing with local owners is once you pay them you're SOL if there is a problem with no refunds.

With Airbnb if you get a bait and switch you just report it ASAP and you can leave with a full refund. It's the safest way to book for rental guests. Airbnb doesn't pay the property owners until 24 hours after the check-in to protect the guest and make sure it's not a scam.

I have used Airbnb , 3 times in my life in 3 diff countries ( not Arg) and all 3 times it was a scam. All 3 times i got a full refund.

I love nice hotels with a FRONT desk and accountability.

AirBnB has the most options but I prefer vrbo/Homeaway. The search function is easier to use, the overall quality of properties is higher, and I’ve rented with them in over a dozen countries and all over the US (even in the boonies) without a single scam or problem. I often see listings on AirBnB where it looks like someone is moving out of their apartment so you can move in.

I'd disagree that the overall properties are of higher quality on VRBO/Homeaway because virtually EVERY single property on VRBO or Homeaway is also on Airbnb. Really no one can match Airbnb for # of properties and quality. You can just put SuperHost on the filter and you'll only get really premium properties with owners that have a great track record. That's what I do when I travel around the world and use Airbnb and never had any problems.

Airbnb has pushed on demand type pricing with property owners where it will allow owners instead of listing a normal price to allow Airbnb to change price based on demand. That's caused prices overall to go down for owners that opt into that. But their occupancy rates typically are higher so you still make more money. Win for the rental guests.

Back