Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Is it safe to use phone in public?

multitasker

My wife and I re set to visit Buenos Aires this Tuesday for our honeymoon. While I'm thrilled about our upcoming trip, I've become somewhat anxious about capturing moments through photographs after reading various safety recommendations for the city. The concern revolves around the fear of potential theft, especially when using a conspicuous camera. We'd prefer to use our smartphones for taking pictures, but I've come across numerous warnings about the risks of using phones in public. Is it genuinely that hazardous? I'm torn between wanting to capture precious moments from our honeymoon and avoiding any unnecessary attention or risks. Any insights based on your experiences would be greatly valued!

Welcome,

I assume that everyone here possesses common sense. Whether you reside in or visit the vibrant city of Edinburgh, you're likely to encounter tourists engaging in typical tourist activities, capturing moments with photos and selfies. Similar issues are reported across Europe.

This phenomenon is prevalent in my travels, be it in Buenos Aires or various cities in Brazil, Peru, and beyond. I've received warnings about carrying my phablet in a belt holster, wearing my daypack on my back, and using a point-and-shoot camera.

The key is to apply common sense. Upon arrival, observe your surroundings and ongoing activities. Pay attention to how people are managing, and take note if any issues arise. If you witness individuals having their phones swiped while in use, exercise caution before doing the same.

Remember, despite taking all the right precautions, unexpected incidents can occur; that's life. In my travels, I only carry items I can afford to lose. My passport and camera memory cards are the most crucial possessions, with my phone having everything backed up as PDF files in my email.

When using my point-and-shoot camera, I secure it with the wrist strap around my wrist—not just for theft prevention but also in case I accidentally drop it. This habit is a remnant from my SLR days. Similarly, if I have an SLR/DLSR, it's around my neck, ensuring it won't go far if dropped.

You might observe people with SLR/DLSRs around their necks taking photos, while others use their phones for selfies. Others may share additional advice, but I wish you the best of luck.

I had no problem walking around with my camera on my shoulder, and the phone was also useful for consulting maps.

I think it's 90% common sense and 10% luck. I felt safe in most of BA. La Boca clearly has a bit of an advantage, and I think Recoleta is a bit safer than other neighborhoods, but the main thing is to enjoy yourself and always be aware, I would say you could spend weeks in Palermo and never have a problem.

Back