Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Is it weird you never hear about expats being robbed leaving Western Union

BikeEnthusiast

The 'Chorros' here will seemingly take any risks to brazenly rob people of their second hand android phones, even in broad daylight. Meanwhile you have a steady stream of tourists pouring out of WU with enormous stacks of cash.

Everytime I leave WU I'm expecting someone to stick a pistol in my stomach and say drop the bag

I even admit sometimes waiting in line when you see someone withdrawing a particulary enormous amount then casually walk out the thought crosses one's mind how hard would it be to rob this dude. Though my pure conscience means it's only a daydream to kill time while waiting on the huge line

The 'Chorros' here will seemingly take any risks to brazenly rob people of their second hand android phones, even in broad daylight. Meanwhile you have a steady stream of tourists pouring out of WU with enormous stacks of cash.

Everytime I leave WU I'm expecting someone to stick a pistol in my stomach and say drop the bag

I even admit sometimes waiting in line when you see someone withdrawing a particulary enormous amount then casually walk out the thought crosses one's mind how hard would it be to rob this dude. Though my pure conscience means it's only a daydream to kill time while waiting on the huge line
I wondered the same thing @BikeEnthusiast! I've seen some of these thieves rob phones from people in Soho. I always wonder why they don't rob people coming out of Western Union or I'm always paranoid that someone is going to follow me home. But I heard the police and the city put the word out there would be HARSH penalties for anyone doing this as it would totally destroy tourism. But I'm not sure what the difference is in getting your phone stolen or cash but I've never read on any public forums about people getting robbed outside of WU.

I hope that doesn't change. Just to be sure I never walk straight home.

I was very paranoid about this when I first moved here. Things are much easier now where you can use your foreign credit card. But even 2 years ago you would use cash for just about everything because of the difference in the white and blue market. You didn't have MEP rates and ability to use credit cards. It didn't make sense to use credit cards.

But it's just like you said. I have never heard about anyone getting robbed outside of WU. I'm sure it probably does happen. But I haven't read about tourists getting robbed. Locals either. If they were to rob you, it would probably be following you for a while and not doing it right outside of the WU office.

We have friends that have gotten robbed after going to WU. It was a few years ago but they were followed and got robbed after about 6 blocks away. It was local friends of ours. It was only around $300 worth of pesos. We asked if they reported it to the police and they told us no and they didn't want the attention from the police. So it does happen. Probably not too often from tourists as the City would probably come down hard on them. Tourism is important for Argentina.

We have friends that have gotten robbed after going to WU. It was a few years ago but they were followed and got robbed after about 6 blocks away. It was local friends of ours. It was only around $300 worth of pesos. We asked if they reported it to the police and they told us no and they didn't want the attention from the police. So it does happen. Probably not too often from tourists as the City would probably come down hard on them. Tourism is important for Argentina.
I also know people that got robbed after leaving a money exchange house. You have to be very careful. Just because you don't read about it too much doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Thieves now are more desperate and robbing cars in the middle of the day. Don't think they won't rob you.

I wondered the same thing! It's obvious the economy is so bad here but I wondered the same thing. Why don't people just stand outside and rob people? Seems like it would be too easy. Or outside the money exchange places. There is one in Soho where people are always smoking pot outside. I got paranoid the first time but seems like no one ever is worried about getting robbed walking with cash.

Thanks! Now the next time I'm in WU I'll be paranoid the person at the end of the line is thinking of robbing me! :ROFLMAO: Seriously, you're right. You would think it would be more common but I've never heard of a tourist getting robbed outside of WU.

Very true one of the first things I was told by local friends literally my first day here wss never ever report anything to the police so maybe it happens more than we know

Very true one of the first things I was told by local friends literally my first day here wss never ever report anything to the police so maybe it happens more than we know
Very few people trust the police because once you report something it makes you a target and maybe they will get your information. Tourists however are likely to report a robbery like this. I don't think it is very common or you'd probably hear about it more often but I'm sure it does happen. Most people are so shell shocked when they get robbed. I had a friend that got robbed some years ago and he just wanted to leave BA immediately.

Most likely, thieves don't want to become a target and prefer more low key thefts like phones.

There are people that get robbed or followed after leaving WU or cueva. Some thieves won't rob them right away but will follow them once they leave. Always take note once you are leaving and see if anyone is following you.

My dear friend from Canada had an acquaintance robbed last year. Very silly to be running in La Boca but you can see these thieves even robbed her shoes. Most tourists stay close to Recoleta or Palermo which are generally safe areas. But you must take note of your phone even in Palermo.

I know the feeling @BikeEnthusiast. My last visit to Western Union I saw a guy getting a huge amount. He even had to bring in a bag to carry all of it. And you can't even hide it because everyone behind can see it. You would think they would have a car or taxi waiting but most times I just see people walking from the store after a withdrawal. Not sure why robberies aren't more common from WU. Its a good question.

Very few locals report robberies. Even cellphone thefts I know many local friends that got robbed but never report it as they look at it as no good and they won't get their phone back. You can't go by official statistics here as very few people report. I often wondered if people are getting mugged when leaving these places. When I go I just do smaller amounts vs. larger amounts.

With a phone, especially the new iphones, thieves know how much they're worth. At WU thieves generally don't know how much someone just withdrew. There's a risk and a reward, and people are more likely to give up their phones if they have insurance on it, something they won't have on their cash and hence the risk to the thieve is perceived lower and reward more predictable.

With a phone, especially the new iphones, thieves know how much they're worth. At WU thieves generally don't know how much someone just withdrew. There's a risk and a reward, and people are more likely to give up their phones if they have insurance on it, something they won't have on their cash and hence the risk to the thieve is perceived lower and reward more predictable.
That is true @FuturoBA. My friend works at WU and there are cameras all over and the employees are not allowed to use phones when the customers are there to prevent them from doing anything like calling their friends. I think most financial institutions are the same now. They don't let people use cellphones in banks typically.

Avoid Florida street cuevas! I just left BA but a buddy of mine just got robbed leaving a cueva on Florida street. He exchanged $300 dollars and about a block away from there someone stole his iPhone and also took the pesos he exchanged. Avoid avoid. I didn't have any problems using places in Recoleta or Palermo.

Avoid Florida street cuevas! I just left BA but a buddy of mine just got robbed leaving a cueva on Florida street. He exchanged $300 dollars and about a block away from there someone stole his iPhone and also took the pesos he exchanged. Avoid avoid. I didn't have any problems using places in Recoleta or Palermo.
I exchanged once down on Florida and I had a weird feeling like 2 guys were following me after I left. I quickly jumped in a taxi but I'm almost sure 2 guys were following me. Seemed to be Bolivian guys or at least they looked like it.

People need to be careful leaving exchange places or even Western Union. I was in Soho today at WU and just note if you see motorcycles. There was 2 guys on a motorcycle down the street. You can feel people are more desperate now. I see more people begging for money now than ever before.

Back