Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Javier Milei has the support of Kristalina Georgieva and the Government assumes that the IMF will make a disbursement of 3,000 million dollars

turtle

Javier Milei has the support of Kristalina Georgieva and the Government assumes that the IMF will make a disbursement of 3,000 million dollars in January - Infobae​

1704298372253.png

Source:

January 03, 2024

During an informal board meeting, the Fund's managing director was optimistic about Argentina's adjustment plan and it is likely that there will be a waiver that will allow the pending 2023 review to be overcome.

By Romanian Lejtman

1704298629130.png
Javier Milei and Kristalina Georgieva, the two protagonists who will decide the direction of the relationship between the IMF and Argentina

The Government's adjustment plan and the explicit support of the White House are the political and economic arguments deployed in Balcarce 50 to maintain that the board of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) ) will grant a waiver (forgiveness) to Argentina and will disburse 3,000 million dollars to meet the capital and interest maturities scheduled in January and February 2024.

https://www.infobae.com/politica/20...i-en-vivo-todas-las-noticias-minuto-a-minuto/
In mid-December, Kristalina Georgieva participated in an informal board meeting to describe the current situation of the Argentine Case. The conclave took place in Washington and the managing director of the IMF explained to the directors that progress was being made on a Staff Level Agreement (SLA) as a consequence of the magnitude of the adjustment plan which is implemented by the administration of Javier Milei.

The goals agreed upon between the then Minister of Economy and the managing director of the IMF referred to the fiscal deficit, monetary issuance and the Central Bank's reserves, three basic objectives of the Extended Facilities agreement that Massa sacrificed to leverage his presidential campaign strategy.
MIlei fulfilled his electoral promise
and the negotiations got back on track during the (elected) president's visit to Washington. During that whirlwind tour, Milei was supported by Jake Sullivan, Joseph Biden's National Security Advisor, who promised to intercede in the IMF and the Treasury Secretary, controlled by Janet Yellen.

1704298950142.png
Javier Milei and Jack Sullivan during their meeting at the White House

The IMF directors who belong to the G7 -Germany, Japan and Canada- were reluctant to treat Milei's government with political benevolence and Secretary Yellen was his main supporter in the White House. For Yellen and the G7 directors it was Argentina again, and it mattered little that Massa was no longer there and that the Economy Minister was now called Luis “Toto” Caputo.

Advisor Sullivan fulfilled his part of the script in DC and Caputo spent long hours via zoom and chat explaining the IMF bureaucracy that Argentina could meet the planned goals with the adjustment plan that Milei was pushing through DNU, devaluation of the exchange rate and unprecedented reduction in public spending.

One week before Christmas, the board received Georgieva to hear her position regarding Argentina's economic plan. It was a meeting informal that the managing director used to describe the political proposal that Milei faces and the technical program that Caputo applies from the Palacio de Hacienda.

The meeting lasted about two hours, and a work schedule was, in fact, established. The IMF bureaucracy had to travel to Buenos Aires to meet with the Chief of Staff , Nicolas Posse, and Minister Caputo, and the head of the Central Bank, Santiago Bausili, before closing the Staff Level Agreement (SLA).

In this context, presidential spokesperson Manuel Adorni confirmed yesterday that Luis Cubeddu and Ashvin Ahuja, two key officials of the Western Hemisphere Department of the IMF, will arrive in the country this Thursday. It will be a formal visit of forty-eight hours: the data they need, they already have.

When Cubeddu and Ahuja return to Washington, the SLA will be completed, which will have new goals and the same economic program. And before the end of January, the IMF board will meet to grant a waiver and approve a disbursement of $3 billion that has been pending since last November .

In the midst of this complex work agenda, Milei and Georgieva will meet in Davos. At the same time and in the same place. An informal contact between the President of Argentina and the managing director of the IMF is not ruled out.

But nowhere near as many mistakes as Comrade Massa.😎
I don't get how people can be so harsh on Milei in his first DAYS in office and have so much patience with Massa as Minister of the Economy. It is truly comical to talk to some of my friends that voted for Massa. They tell me how horrible the DNU's are and then I grill them on it and they haven't really even read any of it.

I don't get how people can be so harsh on Milei in his first DAYS in office and have so much patience with Massa as Minister of the Economy. It is truly comical to talk to some of my friends that voted for Massa. They tell me how horrible the DNU's are and then I grill them on it and they haven't really even read any of
@Betsy Ross , the normal course of action for all CFK and Massa fans is to criticize first and maybe they will read what they are being presented with sometime in the future. Yesterday I was with one of the boss's cousins who was spouting out CFK Bullshit and I asked him what is your major problem with the DNU? Give me the worst scenario from the DNU. he couldn't because he had never read it,

@Betsy Ross , the normal course of action for all CFK and Massa fans is to criticize first and maybe they will read what they are being presented with sometime in the future. Yesterday I was with one of the boss's cousins who was spouting out CFK Bullshit and I asked him what is your major problem with the DNU? Give me the worst scenario from the DNU. he couldn't because he had never read it,

I don't get how people can be so harsh on Milei in his first DAYS in office and have so much patience with Massa as Minister of the Economy. It is truly comical to talk to some of my friends that voted for Massa. They tell me how horrible the DNU's are and then I grill them on it and they haven't really even read any of it.
I totally agree with the both of you. That is my issue as well. I do have friends that didn't vote for Milei. They felt they or maybe their families were better off with Massa. More of the same. But I was very passionate during the elections that Milei was the ONLY choice. Every time I would ask them why they liked Massa they would say something about things being more predictable and things like "better the devil you know vs. a devil you don't know anything about". I could NEVER understand this logic.

Argentina went from being one of the wealthiest and prosperous countries in the world to one of the most financially challenged all because of bad leaders and bad and failed policies. I am all for political disagreement as long as people have a consistent approach and they are fair and balanced. This includes being realistic on timing. Expecting someone to be a miracle worker when they inherited a horrible situation is not reasonable or fair to me.

If they are going to criticize the DNU's be prepared to argue your merits and the how and why you disagree. I don't agree with everything President Milei says or does. But then again, I don't agree with everything my own family says or does either. LOL. There are few people in life I agree with 100% on everything.

But I am balanced and fair and will have an open mind. I was one of the few that predicted a landslide. I am very excited that the majority of Argentines are tired of the same old bullshit. I always tell people that I doubt systemic change in Argentina can happen in my lifetime. I hope I'm wrong. But I hope my kids are able to see it in their lifetime.

I have been living and working in Argentina in many different businesses and one thing I know is things are a mess there and big huge messes like that take years to fix. Not days/week/months.

I totally agree with the both of you. That is my issue as well. I do have friends that didn't vote for Milei. They felt they or maybe their families were better off with Massa. More of the same. But I was very passionate during the elections that Milei was the ONLY choice. Every time I would ask them why they liked Massa they would say something about things being more predictable and things like "better the devil you know vs. a devil you don't know anything about". I could NEVER understand this logic.

Argentina went from being one of the wealthiest and prosperous countries in the world to one of the most financially challenged all because of bad leaders and bad and failed policies. I am all for political disagreement as long as people have a consistent approach and they are fair and balanced. This includes being realistic on timing. Expecting someone to be a miracle worker when they inherited a horrible situation is not reasonable or fair to me.

If they are going to criticize the DNU's be prepared to argue your merits and the how and why you disagree. I don't agree with everything President Milei says or does. But then again, I don't agree with everything my own family says or does either. LOL. There are few people in life I agree with 100% on everything.

But I am balanced and fair and will have an open mind. I was one of the few that predicted a landslide. I am very excited that the majority of Argentines are tired of the same old bullshit. I always tell people that I doubt systemic change in Argentina can happen in my lifetime. I hope I'm wrong. But I hope my kids are able to see it in their lifetime.

I have been living and working in Argentina in many different businesses and one thing I know is things are a mess there and big huge messes like that take years to fix. Not days/week/months.
Agreed! Strange that people gave CFK and Massa so much patience and let the economy get ruined then they want Milei to fix things in the first few days and storm and stomp their feet that there is inflation that was caused by CFK and Massa and their crew. It is comical they don't understand how economics works and they want a magic act.

Back