Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Javier Milei recanted after saying that Alberto Fernández drank Cristal champagne in Olivos every day - Infobae

Redpoint

Javier Milei recanted after saying that Alberto Fernández drank Cristal champagne in Olivos every day - Infobae​

1709736841689.png

Source:

March 06, 2024

After his statements at the Expoagro fair, the president assured that the information was incorrect and stated: “Apologizing when one is wrong is the right thing to do.”

1709737124190.png
Javier Milei acknowledged that he was wrong with some information provided during ExpoagroDuring Expoagro, Javier Milei gave a speech where he referred to the customs of Alberto Fernández in the Quinta de Olivos. In this regard, he questioned the daily consumption of champagne at the official residence but hours later, he acknowledged that this information was false and apologized.

In the midst of the investigation against Alberto Fernández for the insurance scandal , Milei targeted the former president when referring to the expenses incurred during his administration.

When speaking about the cuts made since the beginning of his government, the President stated that “in the previous administration, where I am living, we had Cristal champagne for lunch and dinner every day.”

avier Milei: "The previous administration had lunch and dinner every day with Champagne Cristal"
For this reason, he stated that “if they come to the Quinta, I will not receive them like this. The only exotic thing I can offer you is the keter that I drink on Shabbat, it is a grape juice for those of us who do not drink alcohol.”

Faced with the accusation received, Alberto Fernández did not take long to react and assured: “This is a lie. I hope that whoever said it denies it immediately.” After midnight, Milei used her X account (her former Twitter) to claim that she had made a mistake.

1709737228287.png

Javier Milei apologized for his comments regarding the consumption of champagne by the previous management (Capture: X)
“They tell me that the information about the consumption of champagne in Olivos in the previous administration was incorrect,” said the president. And in a conciliatory gesture, he acknowledged that “apologizing when one is wrong is the right thing to do.”

In a new post, Fernández appreciated this “retraction” , but assured: “Disqualifying the adversary by imputing falsehoods only degrades politics. “It would be better to correct course and abandon hate speech.”

At the private conference for businessmen at the Agronegocios Auditorium, Milei also took the opportunity to announce that they aim to lift the exchange rate in the middle of the year and that they estimate that inflation in the month of February will be around 15 percent .

Among the topics discussed during the event, the president also questioned corruption in Congress for the approval of laws. In this regard, he maintained that “we can't stand choreo, we can't stand thieves. One of the things that happened when I was a deputy, that I was criticized by the media, unfairly, obviously, I always voted in general and when a vote was taken in particular I stood up because I did not lend myself to the theft of the policy of negotiating in particular, which is where “they negotiate the choreo.”

When recalling the debate over the Base Law, the president indicated that “at one point they began to discuss the Trust Funds, which now everyone realizes were black boxes from which they violently steal. But it had to happen in a liberal government. All the pseudo progressives we had, nothing ever happened. And we have serial whistleblowers, standard bearers of the Republic.”

On this point, he continued: “There is a quite rare republicanism in Argentina. When the discussion of the Trust Funds appeared, all the filth broke out. And since a large part of the red circle does not see it, they sold it as a defeat. They didn't understand anything. When I decide to lift the Base Law, the central point is the following: I made them clear, the thieves were visible. I'm not going to worry about the orcs, they are incorrigible. But at least they are criminals who do not hide, they do not pretend to be treated like lords. The problem is white-collar criminals who claim to be treated like lords and show themselves as champions of change. That came out with force and the reality is that to have a law that was emptied of its content because they began to maintain their privileges, I preferred to lift it. The best thing is that they were made evident.”

Finally, Milei referred to the closure of Télam and justified the Government's measure: “Public companies are political holding places, they use them as cash. They fill them with employees. Now they are all crying for Télam. There is a criminal who says 'oh, close Télam as if it were important in terms of public spending.' I would say that if it's not important, why don't you put it his way? But not his. That same criminal says that in reality it should be made efficient. Every statist who wants to steal from them talks about the efficiency that state companies should have.”