Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Karina Milei takes charge of Argentina's bid to host the 2030 World Cup - Infobae

All the Answers

Karina Milei takes charge of Argentina's bid to host the 2030 World Cup - Infobae​

1716310917872.png

Source:

May 21, 2024

The General Secretariat of the Presidency will have the endorsement to sign the documents that constitute the government guarantees to support the candidacy. The 2030 FIFA World Cup will take place between June 8 and July 21

1716310956697.png
Karina Milei in Casa Rosada (Franco Fafasuli)

This Tuesday , through Decree 430/2024 of the Official Gazette , the national government confirmed the authorization to the General Secretariat of the Presidency, headed by Karina Milei, to sign the documents that constitute the government guarantees necessary to support the candidacy of the Argentina , as host of the 2030 World Cup .

Article 1 of the decree states: “The General Secretariat of the Presidency of the Nation is authorized to sign the documents that constitute the necessary Government Guarantees within the framework of the nomination of the Argentine Republic as the venue for the event called ' Celebration of the Centennial of the FIFA World Cup ' of the International Federation of Associated Football (FIFA), on the occasion of the development of the 2030 FIFA World Cup, between June 8 and July 21, 2030.

“The jurisdictions of the National Public Administration that are competent are instructed to issue them prior to the subscription of the Government Guarantees referred to in Article 1,” they clarified in the publication.

Likewise, the measure establishes that the different areas of the National Public Administration will provide and must accompany the necessary actions to guarantee the correct development of the event. “ The different jurisdictions of the National Public Administration will provide support and carry out the actions that are necessary for the correct development of the event called “Celebration of the Centennial of the FIFA World Cup” of the International Federation of Football Associations (FIFA), as well as They will also assist, where appropriate, the countries that accompany the realization of the same,” the document clarifies.

1716310990144.png
Karina Milei with the President of the Nation (REUTERS/Agustin Marcarian)

This measure was confirmed by the presidential spokesperson, Manuel Adorni, in his usual press conference. “ Argentina will apply to host one of the group stage matches of the 2030 FIFA World Cup, where the Centennial of the first soccer World Cup that was played in the Río de la Plata will be commemorated. Of course it can become a reality, in a much freer country than we have today. And, as we usually say, may the forces of heaven be with us,” said the spokesperson.

In October of last year, FIFA confirmed the schedule for the 2030 World Cup, starting in South America, opening ceremony at the Centenario stadium in Montevideo, and the first three games to be played in Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay.

The world football regulatory body reported that between Saturday, June 8 and Sunday, June 9, 2030, the ceremony to celebrate the 100 years of the world championships will be held, based at the Centennial of Montevideo, and the first matches in Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay.

It is worth remembering that a few days before that FIFA announcement, the South American Football Confederation (Conmebol) confirmed that the 2030 World Cup will begin in South America, more specifically in venues in Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay, to commemorate the 100 years of the first edition, held precisely in Uruguay.

“The event originates in South America, then moves to Spain, Portugal and Morocco, the three federations are already classified ,” reported Robert Harrison, president of Paraguayan football. So there are already six countries with a guaranteed ticket for the 2030 World Cup. In addition, FIFA will discount three Conmebol Qualifying places so that the other seven teams (Brazil, Chile, Venezuela, Peru, Colombia, Ecuador and Bolivia) can play in search of three direct tickets and the playoffs.

The original project was that these three countries, along with Chile, would host the tournament. But, according to the organization, finally the first three games will be played in the territory that began the most popular championship between nations on the planet in 1930 . The curious thing is that these countries will only host the inaugural matches, so the rest of the competition will be held in Spain-Portugal-Morocco.

1716311050661.png
The head of the AFA, Claudio Tapia, received a FIFA delegation that inspected Argentine stadiums ahead of the 2030 World Cup

They have already inspected Argentine stadiums​

A few weeks ago, the president of the Argentine Football Association (AFA), Claudio Tapia, received a group of FIFA observers , who passed through the country to refine details and observe the stadiums to host such a large event. The procession passed by the Monumental stadium, the River Camp, the Boca stadium, and the Diego Maradona stadium of Argentinos Juniors .

“We have met, at our headquarters in Viamonte, with a delegation from FIFA, which carried out an inspection visit in different stadiums with an eye on the opening match of the 2030 World Cup, which will take place in Argentina ,” he reported in that moment Tapia, on his X account (ex Twitter ).

In addition, the head of AFA gave each of those sent a T-shirt from the Argentine team, defending champion of the title won in Qatar.

NO HAY PLATA for the Olympic games! What the heck is Karina Milei thinking?

This is insane. It will take at least five years for the country to stabilize IF this government actually gets things done as promised. The Olympics are such a drain on the economy and only benefit a very small group of people and businesses. Just the bidding would cost dozens of millions that Argentina does not have. Toronto's bid would have cost $60 million for the 2024 Games, IIRC.

Hosting the Olympic Games is a complete financial drain. The IOC gets most of the money, and federal governments usually have to bail out the participating cities.

NO HAY PLATA for the Olympic games! What the heck is Karina Milei thinking?

This is insane. It will take at least five years for the country to stabilize IF this government actually gets things done as promised. The Olympics are such a drain on the economy and only benefit a very small group of people and businesses. Just the bidding would cost dozens of millions that Argentina does not have. Toronto's bid would have cost $60 million for the 2024 Games, IIRC.

Hosting the Olympic Games is a complete financial drain. The IOC gets most of the money, and federal governments usually have to bail out the participating cities.
10000% agree. I am really shocked to even read they are considering it. I don't understand it. They are making momentum with many areas but then they will do something very stupid like this that makes me question everything.

Now some of you are seeing what some of us that call Milei crazy are talking about. This is a crazy thought to think about hosting the World Cup when the majority of your citizens are starving and don't have any food! Think about how insane this sounds!

Now some of you are seeing what some of us that call Milei crazy are talking about. This is a crazy thought to think about hosting the World Cup when the majority of your citizens are starving and don't have any food! Think about how insane this sounds!
No hay plata! Milei doesn't make sense. If you wanted to host a World Cup bid, there would need to be 10X the public works projects that they are getting rid of. His team doesn't know what the right arm is doing and the left arm is saying they will make us the host of the World Cup!!! Crazy! We told you he is very stupid man.

There are still a few years to go, and I don't think it's a bad idea. People who experienced the 1978 World Cup remember it as a memorable event. My friend's father always shares stories from that World Cup. Obviously, it's just a wish, but it seems very distant.

No one said anything about Olympics. This was for the World Cup.

I wish I knew how I misread that article! I'm not old enough to be senile but, wow, that was a serious miss! 🤦🏼‍♀️

Apologies!

10000% agree. I am really shocked to even read they are considering it. I don't understand it. They are making momentum with many areas but then they will do something very stupid like this that makes me question everything.

Sorry to have mislead you, Betsy. I was just telling Vince that I totally misread that article, which was about the World Cup and not at all about the Olympic Games. Geez!

Sorry to have mislead you, Betsy. I was just telling Vince that I totally misread that article, which was about the World Cup and not at all about the Olympic Games. Geez!
Oh I saw Olympics and was going to say no way but I don't have any issues with World Cup and it probably would unite Argentina. I can't imagine how insane having a World Cup with Milei as President would be.

O
Oh I am sorry. I just read your post and didn't read the article. My goof too. There is so much content I am following today. Very busy following this administration and watching what is going on in the US elections as well. I am trying not to get sucked into US politics but I can't believe that Democrats are letting Biden run. This has to be some master plan to have Michelle Obama to step in. What they are doing to Biden is like elder abuse. No matter which side you're on in the States, one thing I think everyone can agree on is elder abuse. It's sad as an American that loves the USA.

I think Argentines would LOVE anything related to the World Cup. I don't think they would need to spend too much money. Certainly nothing like hosting an Olympics!

Back