Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Lithium tug of war: the US-China rivalry for Argentina’s white gold

Uncle Wong

I didn't realize how big of a Lithium reserve Argentina had! Great article that goes to show you why the USA is so interested in investing in Argentina. Also, why you see so many high-ranking military officials in Argentina in the past few weeks.

This industry is going to boom with China and the USA fighting over Argentina's lithium.

Off topic but @GlasgowJohn did you see that Lithium recycling plant on fire in Scotland? And then shortly after one in South Korea. Strange timing.

That seems like a strange coincidence. I didn't realize Australia was so far ahead of the pack producing Lithium.

That seems like a strange coincidence. I didn't realize Australia was so far ahead of the pack producing Lithium.

Thanks for flagging this up @Uncle Wong

I always thought this place was just a recycling plant

But there is a battery recycling plant adjacent

Not sure if its regular batteries or lithium batteries

I didn't realize that there was such a glut of lithium right now. Sounds like Argentina is unleashing a ton of lithium at the wrong time.

I didn't realize that there was such a glut of lithium right now. Sounds like Argentina is unleashing a ton of lithium at the wrong time.

Yes some companies are pulling out of projects. This company is getting out of Chile.

Yes some companies are pulling out of projects. This company is getting out of Chile.

Looks like Argentina's timing is off once again.

Hopefully the lithium profits really hit hard later this year and 2025.

Hopefully the lithium profits really hit hard later this year and 2025.

Argentina will definitely most likely become a dominant player with lithium production. Exports are expected to go from $600 million USD this year to $6 Billion by 2030.

GWLrihSW4AA6tck.jpeg

Back