Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Economy Morgan Stanley Predicts 2025 Inflation rate in Argentina will be 31%

Ron

Milei is doing a good job. This shows how important his economic measures regarding fiscal adjustment have been. Finally, the sacrifices made by the Argentine people to endure this adjustment will pay off. Morgan Stanley predicted that inflation will be 207% this year and will drop sharply to 31% next year (compared to the 210% and 58% estimated in the latest market expectations survey (REM) published by the Central Bank).

Even the Argentineans that I know that do not support Milei are amazed that inflation is falling this quickly. And grateful for it. It is strange talking to some of these anti-Milei people. It's like part of them is angry that he is improving things. I am not sure what it will take for them to admit they are wrong. I'm not entirely sure is any point when they will admit they were wrong.

Even the Argentineans that I know that do not support Milei are amazed that inflation is falling this quickly. And grateful for it. It is strange talking to some of these anti-Milei people. It's like part of them is angry that he is improving things. I am not sure what it will take for them to admit they are wrong. I'm not entirely sure is any point when they will admit they were wrong.
Very true. I have friends there who are Peronists and I talk about all the progress being made and they quickly try to change the subject and talk about the deep recession. It's like they won't admit any positive things going on there. I am not sure how any reasonable person can't admit that things are improving there. Taking inflation from 300% down is quite an accomplishment.

Forecasts are never guaranteed to be accurate or even close due to various unforeseen reasons. However, forecasts do have an effect on people's behavior and investment decisions. That in turn has an effect on future inflation rate. Consider what would happen if they had forecasted 310% inflation rate for 2025 instead of 31%.
I personally would not put a different weight on a forecast done by a foreign company vs. a domestic entity. One can argue that a foreign company might be less biased but a domestic one might have more local knowledge. However, who knows what domestic experts were consulted by the foreign company, and how much bias is reflected in a domestic forecast. So, I think everyone can agree that all forecasts should be taken with a grain of salt, regardless of who did the forecast.

The most important thing is the relative change in the inflation rate forecast over a number of months. That will help solidify the inflation rate trend more and encourage finalizing spending and investment decisions.

Those who didn't expect inflation to drop this fast probably also didn't expect Milei would stick to those brutal cuts thinking there would be out of control protests and riots, and his approval rating would drop like a rock, forcing him to change course or be kicked out of office by the mob. We should give his administration a lot of credit for balancing that very well so far through various mitigation efforts.

Also keep in mind that if Milei were to change in the ways even some of his supporters suggested, he wouldn't be who he is, and probably won't make the difficult decisions required.

Forecasts are never guaranteed to be accurate or even close due to various unforeseen reasons. However, forecasts do have an effect on people's behavior and investment decisions. That in turn has an effect on future inflation rate. Consider what would happen if they had forecasted 310% inflation rate for 2025 instead of 31%.
I personally would not put a different weight on a forecast done by a foreign company vs. a domestic entity. One can argue that a foreign company might be less biased but a domestic one might have more local knowledge. However, who knows what domestic experts were consulted by the foreign company, and how much bias is reflected in a domestic forecast. So, I think everyone can agree that all forecasts should be taken with a grain of salt, regardless of who did the forecast.

The most important thing is the relative change in the inflation rate forecast over a number of months. That will help solidify the inflation rate trend more and encourage finalizing spending and investment decisions.

Those who didn't expect inflation to drop this fast probably also didn't expect Milei would stick to those brutal cuts thinking there would be out of control protests and riots, and his approval rating would drop like a rock, forcing him to change course or be kicked out of office by the mob. We should give his administration a lot of credit for balancing that very well so far through various mitigation efforts.

Also keep in mind that if Milei were to change in the ways even some of his supporters suggested, he wouldn't be who he is, and probably won't make the difficult decisions required.
Definitely forecasts of lower inflation are better than higher inflation! What I noticed in many articles and even posts on X is that it doesn't seem like the people writing them have even ever visited Argentina or even know the difference between white and blue rate. But Morgan Stanley I would take to heart.

Very true. I have friends there who are Peronists and I talk about all the progress being made and they quickly try to change the subject and talk about the deep recession. It's like they won't admit any positive things going on there. I am not sure how any reasonable person can't admit that things are improving there. Taking inflation from 300% down is quite an accomplishment.
These people will never admit progress and always complain about something. Even now I know people that keep trying to downplay the tremendous decrease in inflation. They will admit it is better but then talk about something else. I try to explain that under Massa we would be in a horrible situation but they don't listen to reality.

Very good points. One thing for sure that even the Peronistas can't argue with is core inflation is going down.

It was 2.8% for July. This is a great trend.

GT5-UWvXcAEAteo.jpeg

Back