Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Trip Reports November Trip Report - The Best Places!

MikeRoss

After facing several delays, my wife and I finally embarked on our long-awaited journey to Buenos Aires. I want to express my gratitude to the thoughtful contributors on this forum whose posts helped us craft a fantastic itinerary.

Airport:We arrived at EZE around 8 pm on a Friday. Customs took about 90 minutes. We opted for a remis to Palermo for $30 and an Uber on the return for $8.

Lodging:
Sileo Apart: Highly recommended! Fantastic location, and the daily voucher for La Constanza was an unexpected delight. The "free breakfast" surpassed our expectations with 2 cafe con leches, 2 medialunas, scrambled eggs, and orange juice. Late checkout was a bonus.

Highly Recommend:
  • Franca: A standout meal, a top-five culinary experience for us. Sitting at the bar, chatting with the chefs, made it exceptional. Thrilled to see it in the Michelin guide.
  • Don Julio: Not claiming to be the absolute best, but they served wine despite the alcohol sales ban due to the election.
  • Quotidiano: Memorable homemade pastas and generous pours of wine.
  • Salvaje: Edgy, hipster bakery with delicious pastries and creative avocado toasts.
  • Tres Monos: Friendliest service with the best drinks. Standout cocktails in a city where they were generally underwhelming.
  • Plaza Serrano at Night: Craft breweries and vibrant nightlife spots.
  • Cafe Tortoni:Yes, touristy, but it felt like a journey back in time. The tango show was a bit hokey compared to street performances in San Telmo but entertaining.

Don't Miss Activities:
  • Casa Rosada / Plaza de Mayo / Obelisk
  • Museo de Bellas Artes: Free admission and an impressive Indigenous display
  • San Telmo Sunday feria
  • Armenian Immigrants Plaza: Palermo with lots of shops and cafes
  • Recoleta Cemetery
If You Have Time:
  • MALMA: Only one floor was open during our visit.
  • El Ateneo: Lovely old bookstore
  • Puerto Madero: Sleek waterfront area, but it felt somewhat stale to us.
  • Japanese Garden
Tried and Wasn't for Us:
  • Niño Gordo: Instagram hype, time limit on tables, and restrictions on ordering.
  • Andante
  • Preferido de Palermo
  • Meiji restaurant
  • Palacio Barolo
  • Narda Comedor: Bland breakfast, didn't stand out as expected.
  • La Boca / Caminito
Wish we could have checked out:Patio de Los Lecheros and Julia. We've heard great things about these spots.

We exchanged $100 twice at a favorable rate, but card payments were widely accepted. Cash was mainly used for tips.

In general, this trip offered great value, and we had memorable interactions with Porteños. Buenos Aires is undeniably a captivating destination.

Back