Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Food & Drink One of my favorite gourmet foodie spots to eat at with amazing flavors - Picaron

earlyretirement

This is one of my favorite restaurants in Buenos Aires. The food is really delicious. You MUST have a reservation as this is one of the only spots where there will be a line out the door at 8 PM. 75% of their bookings are by reservation and they do 25% walk in. I always have an 8 PM reservation when they open and there is a line already.One time I went and my friend told me he was going to make a reservation but forgot. We got there and a line was out the door at 8 PM already. The lady told me she only does 25% walk in and said it would be impossible to get a table for 5. She said we could wait. I just whispered in her ear that all my friends like expensive wine and we would order many bottles. Voila. She pushed 2 small tables and seated the 5 of us. So if you go without a reservation expect to either give the girl at a the door a big tip or tell her you'll spend a lot in wine.

It's always a great experience. The food is wonderful. The service is always great. The food is creative and it's small plates so you can order a few and share. It's some of the best food I have had in Buenos Aires and I dine out a LOT! I like coming right when it opens as if you come later sometimes you have to wait as locals sit there forever and also they often run out of stuff. The bread is AMAZING and if you go later, sometimes they already run out. It's homemade and comes out piping hot.

I'm not a big wine drinker but all of my local friends are. They LOVE wines. They have a really extensive wine list from all over Argentina. Even the "expensive" wines aren't expensive. My friends in the USA that order expensive wines can be a few hundred dollars per bottle. I think the most expensive wine I've had here is $50 US per bottle.

Food has gotten crazy cheap in Buenos Aires with the 1,000 pesos to $1 US rates. I went a few times while I was in Buenos Aires for their winter (June and July 2023) and it was about 500 pesos to $1 US. And this time I got 1,000 pesos to $1 US and while there was some inflation, there is a limit to how much the local places can raise prices. It's dirt cheap for those with US dollars.

I went last week and we ate like pigs. 3 of my friends and I so 4 of us in total. You can see my receipt. My friends got a "nice" bottle of wine and you can see from the receipt it was about $12.80 US dollar (12,800 pesos). We ate a TON of food and the total was $77 US dollars (76,600) plus tip which we left in cash.

This neighborhood is really coming up and coming with the food scene. Villa Crespo and Chacarita is a good area for restaurants as rent is cheaper. It feels more authentic. Now, Palermo Soho is too touristy. Still great for tourists that are only in town a few days but no way in hell I'd live in that area. Feels almost like "Disneyland".

They have a lot of vegetarian options there too if you like that.

Google Maps - https://maps.app.goo.gl/FBobkaKzDThZba3r8

Instagram (and for Reservations) - https://www.instagram.com/picaron.ba/

IMG_0293.JPG

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

IMG_0314.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0297.JPG
    IMG_0297.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    1,022.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
What a great bargain on the food! Was all that really that cheap? I see it's almost 1,000 pesos to $1 dollar when I look it up at https://dolarhoy.com/

That is crazy how cheap it is. The reviews online look amazing. My friend that is coming is a vegetarian. I wouldn't have thought BA would have had a big vegetarian scene. Great to hear and thanks for sharing!

Back