Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Pedestrian Safety

FishNicler

In Buenos Aires, the traffic dynamics can be different from European cities, and pedestrians might not always have the same priority. Crossing streets without traffic lights can vary depending on the area. In some busy intersections, it might be challenging as traffic can be intense, and drivers may not always yield to pedestrians.
As for safety concerns, like any large city, Buenos Aires has its areas with higher or lower pedestrian safety. It's essential to stay vigilant, especially in busy areas and when crossing streets. Similar considerations apply to Santiago, Montevideo, and Rio de Janeiro. Each city has its own traffic patterns, and safety can depend on specific neighborhoods.

Here are some general recommendations:
  1. Cross at Designated Crosswalks: Whenever possible, use marked crosswalks and pedestrian crossings.
  2. Observe Local Pedestrian Habits: Watch how locals cross the streets and try to follow their lead. They often know the best times to navigate traffic.
  3. Stay Visible: Make eye contact with drivers and ensure they see you before crossing.
  4. Avoid Rush Hours: Crossing streets during rush hours can be more challenging. Try to time your crossings when traffic is lighter.
  5. Be Cautious in Busy Intersections: Exercise extra caution in busy intersections without traffic lights. Look for breaks in traffic and cross when it's safe.
  6. Stay Informed About Neighborhood Safety: Different neighborhoods may have varying safety levels. Stay informed about the safety reputation of the areas you plan to visit.
Remember that these recommendations are general, and conditions can vary. Always prioritize safety and adapt to the local traffic norms. If you have specific neighborhoods or streets in mind, locals or your accommodations can often provide more tailored advice.

basically if you've walked around any big city, you know people cross the streets wherever, cars push the limits (especially taxis and buses), and you should always be calm but have a plan for when someone might hit you. i asked a local how they knew how to yield at 4-way stops without traffic lights, and they said "yield to the person driving on your right" - but it gets crazy! i just wait until the cars are gone, to pass.

Buenos Aires drivers are totally crazy! I rented the car once and I regretted it! My sister in law came to Buenos Aires and had a stroller and she was used to everywhere in the world except a few countries that yield to strollers and she almost got hit 3 times. Even when she had the green cross cars were in a hurry and almost hit her and honked at her. She said she never saw anything like it.

Buenos Aires drivers are totally crazy! I rented the car once and I regretted it! My sister in law came to Buenos Aires and had a stroller and she was used to everywhere in the world except a few countries that yield to strollers and she almost got hit 3 times. Even when she had the green cross cars were in a hurry and almost hit her and honked at her. She said she never saw anything like it.
SO true! Drivers are amongst the worst drivers in the world in Buenos Aires! They swerve into lanes, don't use turn signals, don't give pedestrians the right of way even at green lights! I had 2 kids that were born in Buenos Aires. My oldest daughter was 3 years old when we moved out of Buenos Aires. My son was 1.5 years old. Many incidents with almost getting the strollers hit by cars. I've never been anywhere in the world where a car wouldn't let a stroller with a baby cross at a green light. But in BA it was a frequent occurrence.

I didn't drive much but I owned a car. I bought it as car rentals were so expensive in Punta del Este where I had a beach house. It was crazy like $150 US a day back then and even going for a long weekend felt like a ripoff to pay like $500 US dollars to rent a car. So I would take it on the Buquebus ferry to Montevideo and drive it to Punta del Este.

It was stressful sometimes driving in BA as people don't care. Plus I had a hardtop convertible (A black Peugeot-307CC). It was a really nice imported car. Funny thinking about it. I miss that car! No way I'd drive that now in Buenos Aires. It would stick out now. I rarely see any convertibles in Buenos Aires but back then I drove it around without worrying about getting broken into. The funny thing is I owned it I think around 4 years. It was the first car that I purchased and it appreciated in value in 4 years. I sold it for much more than I purchased it for!

No way I'd ever drive in Buenos Aires! They drive crazy here. I think it's actually more common than not to have a taxi/Uber driver staying in the lanes on Libertador!

Back