Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Please get me hyped up for Buenos Aires

CartyHTY

I've been in CDMX for the past 1.5 years, but I keep wanting to spend time in Buenos Aires. I finally booked a ticket and I'm going in less than a week, however I've had some personal challenges recently (nothing major, just many small things at once) and I'm finding it hard to get excited for or even make any sort of general "to do list" while im there . Everyone says it's amazing but I just have a big mental block right now.

This community rocks so please flood me with cool stories of buying a fake Boca Juniors jersey, great parties, friendly event groups, excellent food (not just steak!), awesome weekend trips and gringofied tango lessons

It’s extremely cultural, great nature very close, Palermo is extremely cool, people are nice, architecture is so pretty, you have easy access to South America. I love Buenos Aires way more than CDMX. You will love it

If you want to see an amazing and extremely lively show, go see Bomba de Tiempo. It’s a live drum show with a ton of drummers on stage. Outdoors, beer, great lights and visuals. After the concert, hang out outside until the band comes out. Follow them down the road to a secret spot. This show was so cool I went twice! I still have the ticket taped to the inside of my phone case so I can see it when I’m sad at work

Ice cream is fantastic. Most things are very cheap if you’re earning in dollars. Food is so-so. I can tell you this as someone who’s lived in several different countries, including a few in Latin America. Go for the nightlife, live music, wine, and nice weather, but don’t go for the food 😉

Argentine Tango is also really cool to watch, so checkout a show if you can.

recently spent a month in Bueons Aires and loved it! You're most likely staying in Palermo because that's where all the tourists stay, and it's a super neighborhood. I was warned about muggings, but the sidewalks were always busy until late and I was never the only woman walking alone so it seemed pretty safe. There are a million bars, restaurants, cafes and they're always busy. The city doesn't have a lot of parks, but the ones it has are very large, and full of people having fun on the weekends. Take a walking tour of La Boca to learn about the history and culture, then get out of there (via Uber not on foot) before you get pickpocketed. If you're an art person, check out Museo de Arte Latinoamericano and Museo Moderno. If you like music, I strongly recommend this Airbnb experience where a nice guy just takes you to see live indie music with a bunch of cool people.

The food is so good it deserves its own paragraph. I'm from Seattle and I'd say overall restaurant quality in the Palermo area was better than we have and costs less than half as much. There is of course endless grilled meat, but there's also an astonishing number of vegetarian and vegan restaurants (find with Happy Cow ) alongside every cuisine imaginable. Some of my favorite places were Punch Curry Bar, Mambo, and Katsu Asian Street Food.

Have fun!

1. Amazing people, weather, nightlife, air quality, steak, wine
  2. Not the BEST city for food, a lot of restaurants have similar style offerings (Parilla and Fries) is like #1 most popular by far. But once you get the hang of it you can find a bigger variety. There's a ton of Asian restaurants and they'll typically have more veggies / different types of meat than just steak.
  3. Travel outside of BA too, Mendoza, Cordoba, Ushuaia, Bariloche, and Punta Del Este in Uruguay are all close and worth seeing.

If you can't get excited about coming to Buenos Aires then you shouldn't come! Buenos Aires has tons of things to do! It is one of the best cities in the world.

Back