Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Post office is requesting immigration paperwork or forms when picking up a package in Buenos Aires?

JoeTrip

I met up with an American that has been living in Buenos Aires the past 15 months. It was an acquaintance of a friend. He did not speak Spanish at all but he claims that he ordered something from the USA and his mom sent it via the post office and it was just a book and worth almost nothing. He claimed that they wouldn't give him the item without showing them proof of when he entered Argentina and if he was here legally.

This seems crazy to me as even a tourist might have something mailed to them. Is this normal? What is the paperwork they are requesting? He was indeed overstaying his visa but he was freaked out that they was asked for his legal status.

Could it be this form that I posted about before that I had to show when I renewed my tourists visa?

I met up with an American that has been living in Buenos Aires the past 15 months. It was an acquaintance of a friend. He did not speak Spanish at all but he claims that he ordered something from the USA and his mom sent it via the post office and it was just a book and worth almost nothing. He claimed that they wouldn't give him the item without showing them proof of when he entered Argentina and if he was here legally.

This seems crazy to me as even a tourist might have something mailed to them. Is this normal? What is the paperwork they are requesting? He was indeed overstaying his visa but he was freaked out that they was asked for his legal status.

Could it be this form that I posted about before that I had to show when I renewed my tourists visa?

Correo Argentino is amonst the worst! It is almost never a good idea to ever mail anything to Argentina. Even using UPS, Fed Ex or DHL I have many times had issues over the years. Usually the issue is taxes as Argentina always wants to charge some import tax on ANYTHING that comes into Argentina. I always tell people never to send me anything here. I have not heard of Correo Argentino asking for immigration paperwork. This seems strange to me and I haven't heard of it before.

Totally agree with Betsy Ross. Avoid mailing anything at all with the exception of documents to Argentina. Customs is the worst. I don't know why they make things so difficult but my hunch is they just keep some stuff vs. sending it back. Many years ago I refused something and it was never returned. I'm not sure what they do with all that stuff.

Totally agree with Betsy Ross. Avoid mailing anything at all with the exception of documents to Argentina. Customs is the worst. I don't know why they make things so difficult but my hunch is they just keep some stuff vs. sending it back. Many years ago I refused something and it was never returned. I'm not sure what they do with all that stuff.
They are probably just making any excuse to either get paid some bribe or keep the item. I have never understood why it is so difficult to get packages here. They need to fix this.

Wow they never have asked for proof of being in the country or asked for anything. I have many friends that have come here and gotten items without them asking for any forms. This is not normal. Maybe someone was having a bad day? Or is this the new normal?