Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Apartment Rental Rent payment in foreign currency

Soytoy

While searching for apartments online I noticed a few price listings in US dollars. Is it possible to get a cheaper monthly rent and expenses when paying in a foreign currency such as USD Dollars or Euros? Any experience with this? Also, are there any legallity issues present when paying rent or any other bill (utility/phone) in foreign currency?

The pricing is quoted in either Dollars or Euros as per the preference for those currencies. If property owners are open to accepting pesos, it will be at or near the blue rate. If the blue rate happens to be lower than the displayed price in pesos, feel free to proceed with the transaction.

I believe that contracts in foreign currency are legally binding in Argentina, and even bank mortgages denominated in Dollars, requiring repayment in Dollars, have been upheld by the local courts.

For many expats, an optimal scenario involves a rental agreement in Dollars with payments made from offshore accounts. Otherwise, there might be the necessity to physically bring in the cash and, in the rare instance that peso payment is favored, convert it to Pesos. Regardless, the contract itself would remain legally valid; however, how the property owner handles the rental payments becomes a separate matter.

However, it's worth noting that paying utility bills in Dollars is not possible. Only In pesos.

Based on my experience the past few weeks the owners do not want bank transfers to an overseas account. They want the actual cash in hand.

Back