Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Roadblocks in the Fight Against Human Trafficking: The Rejection of a Crucial Article

greiger

Right now, it's crucial to have all the tools to combat this serious issue, especially regarding child abduction, whether it's human trafficking or child trafficking. At this very moment, with the case of the child "Loan" gripping the whole of Argentina, strengthening these policies is imperative. Yet, they continue to hinder our efforts by rejecting key articles of the law. It seems their intention is to prevent Milei from governing.

And to think they blame her for not intervening, just because they don't see her making public statements. However, as she wisely points out, in cases like this, it's important to exercise caution with information. Often, behind-the-scenes actions and discreet management can be just as effective, if not more so, than public appearances.

Yes, according to Missing Children, there are currently over 100 missing children, and every day there are at least 4 reports of lost children. In this particular case, it could be due to a poorly conducted investigation, a lack of initiative to activate all necessary mechanisms, and many other issues, including policy failures. It's incredible that these things are still happening.

Now there are no doubts. Based on the evidence, the detainees have been charged with human trafficking, and the federal police have finally intervened. It's incredible that a former military officer, a municipal official, and the police chief are involved.

I have been seeing a lot on Twitter about that Loan case. Is human trafficking a big problem in Argentina?

Yes, it's a problem

How big? No one really knows.

There are a lot of missing children on the police files. But sometimes when they turn up, no one tells the police, so they are still officially missing.

Historically the police have not bothered too much to keep the investigations going.

Lack of interest? Lack of resources? Lack of cash?

Probably a mixture of all these things

It seems the first bunch of guys investigating knew exactly what happened cos they were the guys involved.

Incredible .....................

there are other words I could use but I will see how the investigation continues
This just can't happen. This needs to end NOW. This is the good thing about social media is it puts a spotlight on these people. These people deserve the death penalty.

I heard about this through some actors sharing the story of Loan and I thought it was a very sad story of some unbelievable negligence by the relatives. I wasn't able to grasp the details of the story in Spanish.

Finding out the real details have been sickening. Even the found shoe seems to be placed in the area. I can't imagine what the family has been going through.

Here's an article in English. It gets worse as you read:

I heard about this through some actors sharing the story of Loan and I thought it was a very sad story of some unbelievable negligence by the relatives. I wasn't able to grasp the details of the story in Spanish.

Finding out the real details have been sickening. Even the found shoe seems to be placed in the area. I can't imagine what the family has been going through.

The k you @dai fie sharing the English version. I’ve been following in Spanish. Terrible!

As a parent of 3 kids (2 of which were born in Buenos Aires) this makes me totally sick. As a parent, this is one of your worst nightmares. Argentina actually is very careful at the airport leaving the country. When you have a child with you, you have to have both parents there, and have their DNI/passports, birth certificate, and marriage certificate. Or if one of the parents isn't there you have to have a certified letter from a lawyer stating that the child has permission from the other parent.

But on the murky borders, it's a totally different story. You can see from this article how easy it is to sneak across the borders.

As a parent of 3 kids (2 of which were born in Buenos Aires) this makes me totally sick. As a parent, this is one of your worst nightmares. Argentina actually is very careful at the airport leaving the country. When you have a child with you, you have to have both parents there, and have their DNI/passports, birth certificate, and marriage certificate. Or if one of the parents isn't there you have to have a certified letter from a lawyer stating that the child has permission from the other parent.

But on the murky borders, it's a totally different story. You can see from this article how easy it is to sneak across the borders.

Exactly. We always have to bring a binder full of many documents when traveling with our children. No way anyone will try at airports but good point about land borders. That video was scary to see how easy it is.

As @earlyretirement says it's impossible to smuggle a kid out of an Argentine airport.

But the land borders are easy, especially if there are rivers close by. There are a couple of barges close to Puerto Iguazu which take you over to Paraguay

Price 10 bucks - there is no immigration post.
Crazy how easy it is.

It is crazy! Are the boy's relatives really involved with this?

Crazy how easy it is.

the border crossing report on TN is correct, but perhaps it is interesting to point out that you must present your DNI or passport when you leave Argentina.

A young kid would have to do the same as well as the other bits and pieces you have to present when a child crosses the border.

OK , the kid can be in the car's trunk, - that is certainly possible. But there is always a risk that the officials will open the trunk.

If you intend to smuggle a kid or other things illegal, the easiest way is to use the various boats/barges that are available on the river.

From what I've seen at the triple border, there is no kind of control. It's likely and almost certain that the child is already in another country. Many days have passed, and there are still no traces of him.

Amid the investigation into the kidnapping of the boy Loan, there was an attempted abduction of a 16-year-old girl in the province of Chaco on Monday. Notably, the incident occurred just 10 blocks from the house recently raided in the Loan case, which belongs to the former military prefect detained for human trafficking.

The handling of justice in this case is a disaster. They omitted crucial evidence that should have been gathered at the beginning of the investigation, and I think I've heard at least three different hypotheses about what might have happened. Now they are specifically targeting the family for worshipping what they call "saint" San La Muerte. Just mentioning and thinking about it sends chills down my spine. Apparently, they are accused of practicing satanic rituals. We are getting further and further from knowing the truth.

The handling of justice in this case is a disaster. They omitted crucial evidence that should have been gathered at the beginning of the investigation, and I think I've heard at least three different hypotheses about what might have happened. Now they are specifically targeting the family for worshipping what they call "saint" San La Muerte. Just mentioning and thinking about it sends chills down my spine. Apparently, they are accused of practicing satanic rituals. We are getting further and further from knowing the truth.

This is very strange. I heard something about another kidnapped girl many years ago resembling the daughter of one of the kidnappers? All very strange. Nothing surprises me any more of this country.

Back