Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Real Estate News Sleeping in a dome: He bought the apartment with a view of the Teatro Colón, renovated it and rents it per night - La Nacion Propiedades

BuySellBA

Administrator

Sleeping in a dome: He bought the apartment with a view of the Teatro Colón, renovated it and rents it per night - La Nacion Propiedades​

rs=w:1280

Source:

January 1st, 2024

The dome of a French-style Buenos Aires building was renovated and is offered as a temporary rental.

By Candelaria Reinoso Taccone

Located on the corner of Suipacha and Tucumán, this emblematic dome is available to rent by the night

There is no doubt that the city of Buenos Aires exhibits a picturesque architectural diversity , with the domes being the prominent protagonists of its urban landscape. Like authentic jewels that crown emblematic buildings , these dome-shaped structures not only last over time, but also give the Buenos Aires skyline a singular elegance.

From the imposing neoclassical domes that rise on Avenida de Mayo to the most modern and avant-garde ones that outline the contemporary skyline, each one tells its own architectural story.

One of them is located in the busy center of Buenos Aires, on the corner of Suipacha and Tucumán, culminating in a French-style building built more than 100 years ago. However, what sets it apart is not only its imposing architecture, but a nocturnal secret that few know: its dome, which, surprisingly, is available to spend the night.

Its former owner never saw the dome.

The apartment includes two terraces with views of the dome and the city.

Through marble stairs you access the room inside the dome.

A very particular Thai owner​

In 2013, Nicolás Alessi acquired this peculiar corner of the city and decided to transform it into an experience for those adventurers looking for something more than the typical stay in a conventional hotel . However, he had difficulties making the purchase due to the restrictions with the dollar at that time. The transaction, far from being conventional, involved a peculiar saleswoman: a young Thai woman who had never set foot in Argentina, much less in the apartment she was selling.

The dome, originally acquired as an investment by its previous owner, has a history intertwined with the remodeling of the building in the 90s, part of an ambitious project carried out by a Spanish company . This project included the total purchase of the building for restoration, with the intention of selling units to foreigners and operating them as tourist rentals, thus guaranteeing profitability for the individual owners. Each apartment functioned as a kind of private hotel, with independent management by its respective owners.

In total, the apartment has 100 m2.

The owner made various modifications, such as having custom furniture designed.

The process of total recycling of the building and its enhancement was added to a long list of different transformations and purposes that the construction had, even functioning as a school at some point in its history. Today, the building has both residential apartments and offices.

Regarding the acquisition of the dome, the owner relates: “I never met the girl who sold it to me.” “She had a representative, an Englishman, who lived here in Buenos Aires and we did all the paperwork between us.” The failure of the Spanish project and the decision of many owners to sell - such as the case of the owner of the dome - were attributed to the exchange restrictions of the time, which discouraged investors who found themselves unable to repatriate their profits. from abroad.

The dome has a small balcony from which part of the Buenos Aires downtown can be seen.

The walls of the main room were painted with the motif of a clear sky.

Although the owner is not sure, he believes the dented paint on the dome was part of the building's renovation.

Business vision​

“Actually, I was looking for a space to live personally, not specifically a dome,” shares the owner. However, upon exploring it, he realized its potential as an attractive investment for temporary accommodation.

Although he received the property in decent condition, Alessi opted to carry out several significant renovations to improve both the functionality and aesthetics of the place. “I transformed the kitchen, I had custom furniture made, everything to adapt the space to the particular layout of the apartment. In addition, I decided to put a new floor in one of the patios,” he details.

In addition to the room, the apartment has a living room, a bathroom, two terraces and a small kitchen.

One of the terraces on the sides of the dome.

The building underwent various transformations, making it difficult to determine precisely what its original appearance was.

These modifications were not aimed at precisely replicating the appearance of 1905. Over time, the building underwent various transformations, making it difficult to determine precisely what its original appearance was. In any case, since the building has heritage protection , changes to the exterior façade and dome are limited, thus preserving its historical authenticity.

The apartment, together with the dome, covers a total area of 100 m², including two terraces. The dome, designated as a bedroom and with access via a marble staircase, has a curious detail: its walls are meticulously painted to simulate a sky, something that is presumed to have been part of the restoration carried out by the Spanish company at some point. From the room, you can access a small balcony that offers a privileged view of the Teatro Colón . Among its other rooms are a small living room and a dressing room, both with views of the city.

The building still has its mailbox intact.

The building fulfills the function of being both residential and office space.

The building's staircase has striking details.

Available to rent on Airbnb , the nightly rate is US$69. Among the guests who have inhabited this unique dome, the owner shares some memorable anecdotes. “The first person I rented to was an Italian who worked as a costume designer for the opera Madama Butterfly at the Teatro Colón. On another occasion, I received a 90-year-old woman whose dream was to sleep in a dome. It was a birthday gift organized by her nieces, although at the time I warned them about the stairs to access the bedroom,” Alessi recalls. However, upon meeting the woman, he was pleasantly surprised by her mental acuity and vitality.

In addition to the charms of this particular unit, the building also has a unique appearance, preserving to this day the mailboxes where the correspondence of each department was left. “On certain occasions, I considered the possibility of moving and living there, but as long as it continues to be a profitable investment, I prefer to maintain its function as temporary accommodation and that many people can enjoy it,” says the owner.

www.buysellba.com

Back