Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Sounds like the government is planning for a lot of power blackouts this summer

Spend Thrift

There were a lot of power blackouts last summer. My doorman told me that in February 2023 power went down many times. It sounds like this year will be no exception.

I was here in Feb 2023 and never heard of any blackouts. Sounds like Peronist lies tbh
Actually not lies. Several neighborhoods had outages. Some lasting on and off for weeks. One friend got stuck in her building's elevator for half a day. There were so many other buildings that had problems with elevators that they couldn't get someone out for a while. Not lies but not every building but BA does have problems during the summer.

I was here in Feb 2023 and never heard of any blackouts. Sounds like Peronist lies tbh
Not lies. There were plenty of blackouts in several neighborhoods in Argentina including BA last year as well as every summer during really peak usage days. You can search online to reach some of the stories but it's definitely not fake news. It happens but probably happens in the USA or other areas too sometimes.

No lies. Last year was one of the hottest summers on record. Even in December it was very hot. The grid couldn't handle all of the people using AC. Now that the government is charging up to 500% more I would think they would have enough money but doersn't sound like it will be the case.

No lies. Last year was one of the hottest summers on record. Even in December it was very hot. The grid couldn't handle all of the people using AC. Now that the government is charging up to 500% more I would think they would have enough money but doersn't sound like it will be the case.
I keep hearing about this drastic increase in utility bills. How much more are they planning to raise them?

Consider yourself fortunate. There were indeed lots of blackouts last year. I know as I had to pay for an Airbnb for a friend of mine that had to deal with it in her apartment. Definitely not Peronist lies.

It's frustrating to hear about another summer full of power blackouts, especially since this has been a problem for years. Instead of constantly dealing with outages, the government should be investing in modernizing the country’s energy infrastructure. Proper maintenance, upgrades to the power grid, and diversifying energy sources would help prevent these blackouts. They need to focus on long-term solutions rather than just reacting to the issue every summer. It's time they fix this properly so people can have reliable electricity, especially during the hot months when it's needed the most.:rolleyes::(

It's frustrating to hear about another summer full of power blackouts, especially since this has been a problem for years. Instead of constantly dealing with outages, the government should be investing in modernizing the country’s energy infrastructure. Proper maintenance, upgrades to the power grid, and diversifying energy sources would help prevent these blackouts. They need to focus on long-term solutions rather than just reacting to the issue every summer. It's time they fix this properly so people can have reliable electricity, especially during the hot months when it's needed the most.:rolleyes::(
That is what they need to do is just finally modernize the grid. The country was too broke before but they really need to do this.

I just had the power go out a few hours in my Airbnb last year. Fortunately no other problems but it did go out one day for 3 hours. I don't know how common that is.

Power outages happen from time to time when it's really hot out. Usually they don't last too long. A few hours usually. Last year was particularly bad. We just had it go out a few times but all for 2 hours or less.

At least the government just said the planned outages will be for commercial not residential. Still that doesn't mean that it won't go out in residential. Just not planned.

Back