Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Teatro Colon Tickets?

Opera Fan

Hello,

I would like to attend a performance at Colon, but it is a hassle to book tickets from overseas because they want bank transfer, etc. My question is if I have a local buy the ticket for me, would I have any issues at the entrance (checking ID against ticket??). Also, if I cannot do it in advance, where do you recommend to buy the tickets with cash, once in BsAs (and of course, if the ticket is available). Any guidance is appreciated!

I do not know what exchange rate they will use, and it sounds unclear! I see tickets for Monday`s performance, a less-known repertoire, but I want to experience the acoustics. I hope to find tickets when I get there on Friday.

Do they also differentiate between nationals and tourists in pricing? I want to ask somebody to buy it for me, but do not know if they ask for ID at the entrance. Appreciate your help!

There is only one price. It's the same price in pesos for locals or tourists/foreigners so no worries there. The only difference in prices is obviously for better tickets. Seating, performance, view, etc.

Students and senior citizens with valid IDs can get some discounted pricing. Again, you're not asked for any ID when entering the theatre or accessing your seats. I don't recommend carrying your passport around anyway. You will NEVER need it. What I do when traveling in Buenos Aires or anywhere else as well is I carry around an expired California driver's license. That will more than serve it's purpose for ID's in Buenos Aires. But you will find that almost nowhere does anyone ask for ID. I have never been asked to show my ID at restaurants, stores, cafes, etc. They just ask your ID #.

Thank you earlyretirement! This is super helpful advice. I followed your advice and tried buying it online. I have had issues with the website trying to get a ticket to the ballet. It is temperamental. Sometimes with no sessions displayed at all, or a very slow loading page then freezes. I have tried different browsers like Safari, Chrome, etc. with no luck. When I can get to the payment page it says the page is not accepting the card then it won't allow me to pay. Any advice?

Thank you earlyretirement! This is super helpful advice. I followed your advice and tried buying it online. I have had issues with the website trying to get a ticket to the ballet. It is temperamental. Sometimes with no sessions displayed at all, or a very slow loading page then freezes. I have tried different browsers like Safari, Chrome, etc. with no luck. Any advice?
Try clearing the cache on your browser. If you're in Safari go to to top and then "Clear History" and then clear all history and search history. Are you trying to pay with your Visa or Amex? Try using a Mastercard instead. It's funny as some websites or Apps (like Rappi) prefer Visa but at some like the Teatro Colon, they prefer Mastercard. Try your Mastercard and see if that works. That happened to me when I was buying tickets for my mother-in-law a few months ago. Try that and post back. Cheers.

Try clearing the cache on your browser. If you're in Safari go to to top and then "Clear History" and then clear all history and search history. Are you trying to pay with your Visa or Amex? Try using a Mastercard instead. It's funny as some websites or Apps (like Rappi) prefer Visa but at some like the Teatro Colon, they prefer Mastercard. Try your Mastercard and see if that works. That happened to me when I was buying tickets for my mother-in-law a few months ago. Try that and post back. Cheers.
You are a genius! It worked! I cleared the cache and then switched to a Mastercard and the charge went through. Thanks so much for taking the time to help out this newbie. I very much appreciate your help. I saw your food and restaurant suggestions so I will check out some of those places. Thanks again!

Glad it worked out for you Opera Fan. I was getting the same issue. I would make it to the payment page and then it said the payment was not going through. I thought it was a bank error for fraud but my bank said they never attempted it. I changed to a Mastercard and earlyretirement's advice to clear cache and pay with Mastercard worked like a charm! Love this forum!

Thanks so much for the Mastercard tip. My cousin was going crazy and her Visa card wasn't working but Mastercard worked!

Back