Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

The food is seriously overrated here in Buenos Aires!!

Blockchain

Great forum. I just got in town last week. I am a bit puzzled as I heard so many great things about the food here before the trip. I don't mean to bag on the food here but am I the only one that things the food is nothing special here?

Very bland with not much flavor. Some of the worst pizza of any country I have been to. I'm not sure how some of these places even call it pizza. Just cheese and flavorless dough. Even the steaks I don't find too flavorful. I did not visit Don Julio as that is nuts people are paying that much money in a poor country that has tons of beef. I went to a few places and the beef was not flavorful. Sushi sucks here and almost not edible. Not much flavor in the food.

I can't be the only one that feels like way. I am no food snob but enjoy good food and although some places are just ok this is far from the foodie haven I heard about online before my trip.

Great forum. I just got in town last week. I am a bit puzzled as I heard so many great things about the food here before the trip. I don't mean to bag on the food here but am I the only one that things the food is nothing special here?

Very bland with not much flavor. Some of the worst pizza of any country I have been to. I'm not sure how some of these places even call it pizza. Just cheese and flavorless dough. Even the steaks I don't find too flavorful. I did not visit Don Julio as that is nuts people are paying that much money in a poor country that has tons of beef. I went to a few places and the beef was not flavorful. Sushi sucks here and almost not edible. Not much flavor in the food.

I can't be the only one that feels like way. I am no food snob but enjoy good food and although some places are just ok this is far from the foodie haven I heard about online before my trip.
There are good places and bad places and lots of mediocre places. Many people complain about the pizza. Check out this thread that has some good pizza places.

It is not just you. My friends that come in town say some of the same general comments and complain how bland the food is. To each their own. Lots of great places too.

The trick is to do some due diligence and research a bit. Buenos Aires has some fantastic food too. It just depends what you like.

I agree with you that most of the sushi places are absolutely horrible. The only two that I really enjoy are Osaka (Palermo and a location in Puerto Madero) but it's not cheap. Also Lima on Rodriguez Pena in Recoleta. I posted reviews in the Food Section. Also, La Mar has good seafood and sometimes good sushi but it's not nearly as good as Osaka and Lima.

I agree about Pizza not being as good as the US or Europe but there are a few decent Pizza places here. Check out that link that Vince shared.

For great Italian check out Sotto Vocce in Recoleta in Libertador Street. I also like Cucina Paradiso.

Picaron has great food and so does Tanta Argentina. There are tons of places that have great food but really check out reviews on Google. I agree tons and tons of totally mediocre restaurants as well in BA and the food is bland compared to many countries.

The trick is to do some due diligence and research a bit. Buenos Aires has some fantastic food too. It just depends what you like.

I agree with you that most of the sushi places are absolutely horrible. The only two that I really enjoy are Osaka (Palermo and a location in Puerto Madero) but it's not cheap. Also Lima on Rodriguez Pena in Recoleta. I posted reviews in the Food Section. Also, La Mar has good seafood and sometimes good sushi but it's not nearly as good as Osaka and Lima.

I agree about Pizza not being as good as the US or Europe but there are a few decent Pizza places here. Check out that link that Vince shared.

For great Italian check out Sotto Vocce in Recoleta in Libertador Street. I also like Cucina Paradiso.

Picaron has great food and so does Tanta Argentina. There are tons of places that have great food but really check out reviews on Google. I agree tons and tons of totally mediocre restaurants as well in BA and the food is bland compared to many countries.
Thank you for those places. I will do some more research but just went into places that were busy. I tried La Cabrera which I was told was one of the best steakhouses and the meat was overcooked and did not have much flavor. ALL tourists there from other countries.

Thanks @Vince for that link on the pizza places. I love pizza and I tried a few places and they were all bad. The worst thing is the locals think their pizza is fantastic! :ROFLMAO:

I think the food is ok. My first trip I was like you and read so many great things. I think the food here is just meh. Agree about the pizza. Don Julio does have great steaks. Best in BA by a long shot. You should try it at least once. Sushi is not good besides the places @earlyretirement mentioned. But be prepared. I spent a $$$ at Osaka.

Thank you for those places. I will do some more research but just went into places that were busy. I tried La Cabrera which I was told was one of the best steakhouses and the meat was overcooked and did not have much flavor. ALL tourists there from other countries.

Thanks @Vince for that link on the pizza places. I love pizza and I tried a few places and they were all bad. The worst thing is the locals think their pizza is fantastic! :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO: about the pizza and Porteños thinking their pizza is the best in the world. I'm from NYC so i know good pizza. My wife always tells people Buenos Aires has the best pizza and I just laugh!

I don't think you can generalize based on only a few places. I read you have only been here a week and not sure which places you are going to. I also think La Cabrera is very much overrated. Try El Preferido in Palermo instead.

These are all highly-rated restaurants and some of my favorites too. I like Osaka but it's expensive. Sotto Voce is terrific. Tanta is also excellent. If you can't find great food in Buenos Aires you're not doing it right. Many fine places here.

Check out this link:

And

I don't think you can generalize based on only a few places. I read you have only been here a week and not sure which places you are going to. I also think La Cabrera is very much overrated. Try El Preferido in Palermo instead.

These are all highly-rated restaurants and some of my favorites too. I like Osaka but it's expensive. Sotto Voce is terrific. Tanta is also excellent. If you can't find great food in Buenos Aires you're not doing it right. Many fine places here.

Check out this link:

And

There are tons of great places here. The best thing is ask around with some locals what their favorite places are. Also, these are some good lists. BA has several Michelin ranked restaurants and not too expensive compared to other cities. If you can't find good food here you're doing it wrong.

Thank you @GlasgowJohn. I will try it. I heard someone else mention it in the forum. What is your favorite place for Pizza? Italian? Seafood and your all around favorite place to eat? I will try some of these listed places this weekend and report back.

Our favorite pizza place is Morelia/ their specialty is thin-crust pizzas and they are rectangular shape, not round.

📍La Lucila 4799-7377 / Av. del Libertador 3499
📍Caballito 4922-1515 / Pedro Goyena 696

There was one in Las Canitas but I am not sure if it is still operational.

The one in Humboldt in Palermo closed during the Pamdemic

For fish, our go-to place is la Pescadorita on Humboldt 1905 in Palermo / daily specials and good seafood risottos.

Our favorite pizza place is Morelia/ their specialty is thin-crust pizzas and they are rectangular shape, not round.

📍La Lucila 4799-7377 / Av. del Libertador 3499
📍Caballito 4922-1515 / Pedro Goyena 696

There was one in Las Canitas but I am not sure if it is still operational.

The one in Humboldt in Palermo closed during the Pamdemic

For fish, our go-to place is la Pescadorita on Humboldt 1905 in Palermo / daily specials and good seafood risottos.
Morelia has great pizza. I haven't been in a while since that one in Palermo closed down.

One thing I will say is that the empanadas here are very good. I have tried a few and very flavorful. Also, I went to dinner at Osaka and agree it was as good as high end sushi places in the States. Maybe better. I will try some of the other restaurants on the lists and some that you all mentioned. Thanks for posting names.

One thing I will say is that the empanadas here are very good. I have tried a few and very flavorful. Also, I went to dinner at Osaka and agree it was as good as high end sushi places in the States. Maybe better. I will try some of the other restaurants on the lists and some that you all mentioned. Thanks for posting names.
Glad you tried out Osaka! Check out some of those other places that I mentioned here and I also replied to your DM. Buenos Aires has a lot of great places. It wasn't anything like this when I first moved to BA after the corralito. I'd argue back then things really sucked. There was NO diversity at all and besides steaks, pastas and Italian food there wasn't anything to write home about. All the seafood restaurants were horrible, no international cuisine and far less pizza places like today.

Today, it's really great and if you can't find good food in BA you're not doing things right.

If you like Empanadas check out this list of some of the favorites.

I thought the food was ok there but very bland compared to other countries in Latin America. My mother is from Mexico and I thought Mexico has some of the best food in the world. Many unique flavors, spice and many different dishes. I didn't think Argentina had many unique flavors. Even most salads were just meh. In Peru they have a lot of flavor also. Argentina was just ok.

Back