Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer The friendliness of the people is truly remarkable!

Rosmary H

Hello! I've recently joined this forum; I stumbled upon it while planning our 22-day trip to Argentina, and I appreciate being well-informed, so thank you all for your help. What surprises me is that no one mentions how friendly the people are here. Perhaps it's because I'm in my 60s, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see young people holding doors open, saying hello in elevators, waiting at doors, smiling, and offering help in restaurants. Today, while getting my hair done, my hairstylist even gave me a kiss! It's not that the Irish aren't friendly, but I didn't expect this from teenagers and young adults. Am I the only one who has noticed this? 🤔

During our 6-day stay in Buenos Aires, we encountered a lot of kindness. While it certainly benefited my wife's fluent Spanish skills, people were still friendly towards me despite my less-than-perfect attempts at speaking the language. I strongly believe that one's attitude plays a significant role in how they are treated!

Thank you! Yes, we really do love foreigners. Maybe because many of us are originally from other places. My family are all from Spain. Sometimes we can be in a mad mood for the very bad economy but we are a friendly nation and love foreigners.

Hello! I've recently joined this forum; I stumbled upon it while planning our 22-day trip to Argentina, and I appreciate being well-informed, so thank you all for your help. What surprises me is that no one mentions how friendly the people are here. Perhaps it's because I'm in my 60s, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see young people holding doors open, saying hello in elevators, waiting at doors, smiling, and offering help in restaurants. Today, while getting my hair done, my hairstylist even gave me a kiss! It's not that the Irish aren't friendly, but I didn't expect this from teenagers and young adults. Am I the only one who has noticed this? 🤔
Rosmary, I want to express my gratitude for highlighting this. While many may consider it the norm, we observe that not everyone experiences such kindness around the world.

It's wonderful that you had such an enjoyable trip.

At 70 years old, I was seated on a bench, rising slowly, when a younger gentleman stood nearby to offer assistance. During my initial visit to Buenos Aires, I wasn't particularly impressed, but on my second trip, I found it to be a different experience. Having proficiency in Spanish proved beneficial. I often humorously referred to myself as the "buen gringo."

Back