Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics The Government responded to Pope Francis: “We respect your opinion, but we do not have to share it” - Infobae

All the Answers

The Government responded to Pope Francis: “We respect your opinion, but we do not have to share it” - Infobae

1726860910680.png

Source:

September 20, 2024

Presidential spokesman Manuel Adorni said that they are listening to and reflecting on the words of the Pope, who this morning questioned the use of pepper spray in a protest. He also said that they will investigate the corruption reported by the head of the Church.

Manuel Adorni referred to the Pope's remarks

Presidential spokesman Manuel Adorni today referred to the statements of Pope Francis , who this morning questioned the Government for having used pepper spray to repress a mobilization carried out last week to protest against the presidential veto of the retirement mobility law.

This is Pope Francis’ opinion, which we listen to and reflect on. We do not have to share his vision on some issues. We have total respect. There is not much more to say ,” said the official at his usual press conference at Casa Rosada.

Asked about the complaint made by the Pope about a case of corruption involving an Argentine minister , Adorni said that they will wait for the actions of the Justice and the Executive Branch is willing “to investigate.” “The truth is that I don’t know where the comment comes from, but well, if there is a fact that needs to be investigated, it will be investigated,” he said.

In another part of the conference, Adorni avoided polemics with His Holiness when he was reminded of Javier Milei's remarks against Francis during the 2023 election campaign. “That is a settled discussion,” he said. And he added that today “ the relationship is very good, it is fantastic .”

Pope Francis criticised the Government

The controversial phrases of Francis​

In the framework of a meeting that took place in the Vatican, and together with leaders of Social Movements such as Juan Grabois , the Pope said: “They showed me a film of a repression that took place a week ago, maybe less. Workers, people who were asking for their rights in the street and the Police were repelling them with something that is the most expensive there is, that top quality pepper spray. They had no right to demand what was theirs because they were rioters, communists... and the Government stood firm: instead of paying for social justice, it paid for the pepper spray. It suited them. Keep that in mind.”

For the Pope, it is the “ arrogant attitude , which is the opposite of compassion” and “looking with contempt, with hatred” that triggers acts of violence such as those that occurred with the recent protests. “Looking from afar, looking from above, looking with indifference, looking with contempt, looking with hatred. This is how violence is created and the silence of indifference that enables the roar of the other,” he warned.

At another point in his speech, he mentioned the alleged corruption. An international entrepreneur told me that he was making some investments in Argentina, about what they were carrying out, that they work very well and it was an agreement. He went to present a new plan for new extensions to the minister, the minister treated him very well and said 'leave it with me, they will call you...'”, he continued. “The next day, the minister's secretary called him, told him if he could come 'in two days, so we can give you the permit'. He came, gave him the papers and the signature... and when he (the entrepreneur) was about to get up, he said: and for us, how much?... And for us, how much? The bribe. The devil enters through the pocket, don't forget it” , he recalled.

Criticism from CABA​

Jorge Macri on Pope Francis

Beyond Adorni's stance of avoiding polemics with the Pope, the head of the Buenos Aires government, Jorge Macri , raised his voice and responded to the criticism of the security operation in which the City Police also participated.

"I am a person of faith, I have a problem where I stand. I have a very good relationship with many actors in the church, but to have an opinion on these things one has to be here, understand what is happening , take into account all the variables in play and not make a reductionism of a fact or listen to only one bell," he said in conversation with Radio Continental .

Along these lines, he added: “I do not want to enter into an argument with the Pope; it is good to listen to all the bells and whistles on these issues, not to be reductionist, to understand that we are managing a complex and difficult situation, a difficult moment for Argentina.” And he recalled: “ We had become accustomed to living in chaos, to anyone doing what they wanted at any time .”

It is good to always be balanced or to always have the same view. I also read a comment about bribery yes or bribery no. I don't know if that is true... if it is true, someone should report it. Now, everything happened in Argentina, and now these comments? What do I know. It hurts me , we need to move forward,” he concluded.

Back