Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Economy They hacked a digital wallet and emptied dollar accounts of Argentine users - Infobae

JoeTrip

They hacked a digital wallet and emptied dollar accounts of Argentine users - Infobae
1705683726564.png

Source:

Payoneer, a multi-currency tool widely used by freelancers who charge for work from abroad, suffered an attack via SMS messages that affected local users. Movistar published a statement and said it had taken measures

by Matias Barbería

1705683785757.png
It is suspected that the accounts were compromised through smishing, that is, based on the sending of fraudulent SMS's (DPA).

Dozens of Argentine users of a digital wallet that facilitates money movements between countries were victims of an attack that, in some cases, withdrew several thousand dollars of your accounts. The tool, Payoneer, gained popularity among freelancers who sell services abroad in times of exchange restrictions, since it allows receiving payments in foreign currency without having to settle currencies at the official exchange rate. The attack, apparently based on sending SMS messages, forced Movistar to distribute a statement in which it clarifies that the contents of the messages are unrelated to your responsibility.

The victims organized through the social network Reddit and launched their claims through X, the former Twitter, under the hashtag #PayoneerHacked. The problem has not yet attracted an official response from Payoneer—a company listed on Wall Street—beyond contacts with customer service in which users received security instructions and the promise of a response in the coming days.

According to users who published their cases on social networks and spoke with Infobae through the Discord platform, there are losses ranging from the few thousands of dollars up to USD 60,000.

“On Monday at 6 in the morning I received an email from Payoneer saying that my transfer was on its way. Scared, I ran to the PC and when I opened my account I saw that it was true, there was a transfer to another account, I immediately changed the password but I kept getting SMS confirmation codes," said an artist and illustrator who sells his works to through freelancing platforms.

“Transfers continued to be made so I withdrew some funds as best I could while calling Payoneer. They deactivated my account just in case (late because there was nothing left to withdraw) and well, they gave me the answer they gave to everyone. "That we had to change the account email and wait for the technology area to give answers about the case," he added.

The cause of the hack is unclear. According to the computer security consultant and CEO of BTR Consulting, Gabriel Zurdo, apparently it was a case of smishing .

1705683931988.png
Some of the SMS that the victims received on their cell phones

“It is a technique that, like phishing, seeks to send fraudulent messages. The difference is that it is done through SMS,” he said.

However, some users claim that it was a major vulnerability in which the attackers accessed the account recovery codes sent by the company.

“In the case of Payoneer there is, in our opinion, a possible interpretation that the SMS could have been sent using the Telefónica network through mailing companies. Apparently, they managed to send SMS with codes to reset the account passwords and access the numbers,” commented Zurdo.

For now, Telefónica's Movistar clarified that although its network was used to send messages, the content of the messages exceeds.

“Movistar became aware through publications on social networks that clients of the Company, who have accounts on the Payoneer platform, had been scammed through the receipt of SMS that, through smishing maneuvers, captured their credentials from the aforementioned platform” , the company said in a statement distributed on the former Twitter.

“In this sense, we inform that Movistar is not responsible for the messages (or their content) that third parties send using its network. Notwithstanding the above, we have taken preventive measures with those numbers from which some clients have reported having received such communications,” the firm concluded.

Payoneer spokespersons sent an official statement to Infobae in which they acknowledged the problems.

“We are aware of recent cases where scammers tricked customers into clicking on links to phishing sites and providing their account credentials. Unfortunately, some customers clicked on these fake links and shared their account login details with the scammers,” they said.

“In addition, we are aware of new forms of fraud that compromise mobile phones and that could also have affected some of our customers. We take fraud prevention very seriously and work closely with regulators, mobile carriers and law enforcement to help combat financial crime and actively educate our customers on how to keep their account secure and protect their information. confidential,” added the text released by the company.

These days I don't trust any of these digital platforms. I never keep any money in these accounts. I have had cases where I got a new credit card and never used it at all. Just activated it and then it was used fraudulently. Only way is if the bank got hacked or inside job. I told the bank that but they don't seem to care and acknowledge they can't really stop it.

I was made whole on my losses but makes me wonder how bad it will get in the future.

Here is another article on it.

These days I don't trust any of these digital platforms. I never keep any money in these accounts. I have had cases where I got a new credit card and never used it at all. Just activated it and then it was used fraudulently. Only way is if the bank got hacked or inside job. I told the bank that but they don't seem to care and acknowledge they can't really stop it.

I was made whole on my losses but makes me wonder how bad it will get in the future.

Here is another article on it.

My 2 cousin lose money with this hack with Payoneer. They work very hard for artwork and have money on this platform and lose with this stealing. They can't get anyone from company say what issue is or when they will get money. Like Milei they say, "we have no money".

Back