Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Tigre Delta - day trip?

camile

Is it feasible to visit the Tigre Delta in just one day and return to my hotel in Buenos Aires on the same night?

If it is, how can I arrange this? Any recommendations for transportation to and from?

Thank you!

Yes you can easily do Tigre Delta in one day. Almost all TA agents offer the tour and its one of BA classic outdoors .You may also do it by your own.

Take the train in Retiro station to Olivos and link with the Tren de la Costa to Tigre.

This second part of the trip is fun as the train goes very close to the coast of Rio de la Plata.

Its aprox 1 hour the full trip one way, you may get down in stations as San Isidro for a visit to the town and sorroundings.

San Isidro is a interesting neighbourhood with a few Historic houses with lots of history.( Pueyrredon / Victoria Ocampo among others). The San Isidro guides offer a almost free tour, very cheap and interesting.

In Tigre Pier do a Catamaran ( boat) tour of 1 hours aprox. in the close islands and rivers covering Sarmiento ( ex president of Arentina ) house. A small wodden house covered in a glass structure .

If a more in depth tour to the Delta islands is of your interest, full day or overnight ,hiring a private boat tour like mine is a very nice option , full day , includes picnic on board).

My visit to the Tigre Delta was a unique experience. Accompanied by my girlfriend and our private cab driver, who knew the area well, we arrived at our destination in only 35 minutes from our hotel. She gave us a personalized tour of the city before arranging for us to take a tour of the delta on a local boat (I don't remember the local name for these boats, but they operate like buses, stopping at predetermined docks along the delta).

This private boat excursion was the highlight, as we were not part of a large tour group, but joined the locals moving through the delta. We happened to meet school children returning home, and I captured lovely moments with my video camera, sharing the images with them. It was a fantastic opportunity to immerse ourselves in the local scene, an experience hard to repeat with a standard tour company.

Back