Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Tina & Co in BA

I didn't move to Argentina to eat food from back home. I fully embraced the local cuisine, and I'm so glad I did! In fact, I'm even taking a course to learn how to make traditional Argentine dishes.
Absolutely! But sometimes you give in. A couple of months ago, I bought a 2-pack of Pop-Tarts for 8,000 ARS. I've been here for three years and hadn't had one in even longer. I don’t buy them regularly, but every now and then, it's a nice little comfort treat.🥹

Oh my gosh, how incredibly expensive that kind of junk food is here! I can’t believe how much you have to pay for something that costs just a few dollars in the US. It seems crazy to spend so much on something that isn’t exactly healthy, but every now and then, you indulge in those little treats.

Oh my gosh, how incredibly expensive that kind of junk food is here! I can’t believe how much you have to pay for something that costs just a few dollars in the US. It seems crazy to spend so much on something that isn’t exactly healthy, but every now and then, you indulge in those little treats.
It's a good place to buy ingredients if you want to make Asian food at home. Other places in Chinatown that we go to are Asia Oriental and Casa China.

It's a good place to buy ingredients if you want to make Asian food at home. Other places in Chinatown that we go to are Asia Oriental and Casa China.
For me Casa China and Ichiban have the most selections when it comes to Asian vegetables (water spinach should be in season sometime this month). Prices are similar. Asia Oriental has less variety of vegetables but has more sauces and other Southeast Asian condiments on top of the usual Chinese/Japanese/Korean stuff. I used to buy pork in barrio chino because there're not many places in CABA that will grind the pork for you so you kinda have to go to barrio chino to buy ground pork or else you grind it yourself at home if you have a grinder or food processor which I do now because I find pork there so overpriced. For instance, bondiola at Coto costs 6900/kg but 10,900/kg in barrio chino so adios. A lot of the dried ingredients are cheaper at TICH so check it out.

For me Casa China and Ichiban have the most selections when it comes to Asian vegetables (water spinach should be in season sometime this month). Prices are similar. Asia Oriental has less variety of vegetables but has more sauces and other Southeast Asian condiments on top of the usual Chinese/Japanese/Korean stuff. I used to buy pork in barrio chino because there're not many places in CABA that will grind the pork for you so you kinda have to go to barrio chino to buy ground pork or else you grind it yourself at home if you have a grinder or food processor which I do now because I find pork there so overpriced. For instance, bondiola at Coto costs 6900/kg but 10,900/kg in barrio chino so adios. A lot of the dried ingredients are cheaper at TICH so check it out.
Agree about Casa China and best selection. Ichiban too. I think the freshest selections when I make (or I should say attempt to make) Chinese food. You sound like an expert @Jakoval! That is a good tip about the pork. Expensive in barrio chino. Did you buy the food processor here? If so, which model did you get or can you recommend?

That is where I go for Asian ingredients. I like Ichiban and also Casa China. I am not a good cook for Chinese food but many good recipes now and you can cook at home. I don't like the restaurants here compared to when I visit my daughter in the States.

@Jakoval that is good to know about cheaper ingredients at TICH. I never knew about that store. Is that this? I will try it. Thank you.

That is where I go for Asian ingredients. I like Ichiban and also Casa China. I am not a good cook for Chinese food but many good recipes now and you can cook at home. I don't like the restaurants here compared to when I visit my daughter in the States.

@Jakoval that is good to know about cheaper ingredients at TICH. I never knew about that store. Is that this? I will try it. Thank you.

Yes, a lot of items at TICH are cheaper than the rest but you need to check and compare. I just went to barrio chino and found that the exact same brand of coconut milk costs 3450, 3550 and 4500 depending on the store.

Yes, a lot of items at TICH are cheaper than the rest but you need to check and compare. I just went to barrio chino and found that the exact same brand of coconut milk costs 3450, 3550 and 4500 depending on the store.
That is one thing I noticed is that the same exact item can have a huge price difference for the exact same thing! If you're in a hurry and can't walk a few blocks to each and compare you can end up paying up to 50% more.

Agree about Casa China and best selection. Ichiban too. I think the freshest selections when I make (or I should say attempt to make) Chinese food. You sound like an expert @Jakoval! That is a good tip about the pork. Expensive in barrio chino. Did you buy the food processor here? If so, which model did you get or can you recommend?
Yes, I bought a black Phillips procesador from Coto. It comes with the entire set of slicers etc etc and a blender. If I am not mistaken the model is

Multiprocesadora Alimentos Philips Hr7301/90 750w.​

The higher the watts the better.

Tina & Co in Barrio Chino just restocked some beloved essentials! The prices are steep, but when those cravings strike, it’s hard to resist…It's perfect for when you're missing these treats and just want to indulge yourself a little.

View attachment 7391View attachment 7392View attachment 7393

You might be happy to hear that Victoria's Secret is opening a store here. While some products were already available through importers, they were quite expensive.

I personally love going to Chinatown. I cook Asian food often, and I can get everything I need there. Plus, it's a nice place to stroll around while enjoying a delicious Korean tea.

Yes, I bought a black Phillips procesador from Coto. It comes with the entire set of slicers etc etc and a blender. If I am not mistaken the model is

Multiprocesadora Alimentos Philips Hr7301/90 750w.​

The higher the watts the better.
Thank you so much for that recommendation. I will check it out. I was going to wait until I go to the States for Thanksgiving. I'm sure it will probably be half the price vs. here but it could come in handy. I find myself going to restaurants few and far between now. It's much more affordable to cook at home. Thank you Jakoval.

Back