Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Tourism in Argentina

BikeEnthusiast

I am posting this so forum members can discuss the facts about tourism declining in Argentina. In a city Barloche where I lived 8 years the worst crisis since 1990.

We all want Argentina to be the premier tourist destination in the world but Milei is making it unaffordable. If this is not reversed the implications are clear for many to see

I am posting this so forum members can discuss the facts about tourism declining in Argentina. In a city Barloche where I lived 8 years the worst crisis since 1990.

We all want Argentina to be the premier tourist destination in the world but Milei is making it unaffordable. If this is not reversed the implications are clear for many to see
It is a shame what Milei is doing. It's getting too expensive. Lately I have seen less tourists. The restaurants are not as crowded. I think many will go out of business soon. Bariloche I heard is struggling. Probably no Argentines can afford to travel and Brazillians probably are shocked at the increase in prices.

Wholeheartedly agree with you @BikeEnthusiast. I have a friend that owns a rental property in Bariloche and he always had it busy but he said this year has been very difficult and slow. How bad do you think it will get? People forget that during the expensive $1USD = 1 Peso days Argentina had NO tourism at all. It was too expensive and I fear that is where we will go again.

Tourism is very important to get Argentina out of this recession but prices will get too high if things keep up.

I think everyone wants to see things improve here in Argentina. But it is difficult as the economy improves I think things will probably get a lot more expensive here. The biggest problem with Argentina is the distance. It's very far from many places. Most of the tourists are from other neighboring countries (Uruguay, Brazil, Chile). I think many of them will probably think twice as Argentina gets too expensive.

I'm not sure what the solution is. I agree with you tourism is very important. The quickest way to get $$$ in but something has got to give and things need to improve.

I have been to Bariloche several times and enjoy it. Great city. Great skiing. Good food. Friendly people.

@BikeEnthusiast when you post about worst crises since 1990 what do you mean? Is it just tourism is down? Or is something else going on there?

According to this tourism has fallen off a cliff. Worst results of the last 20 years. So @BikeEnthusiast it sounds like you are correct about tourism falling.

Correct. Things here are too expensive. Tourism is cut off. As it gets more expensive even less tourists which will cause many restaurants and businesses to fail.

Incorrect. Tourism is not what sustains the economy in this country, never was. And, in this city, restaurants and businesses do not depend on tourism, either. In this country the locals are who sustain businesses. Mar del Plata, on the other hand, is a city that depends on tourism, just like all the other tourist-dependent areas of the country, and it's always been mostly Argentine tourists.
No doubt the local economy is also very important but you'd be surprised how much tourism helps the economy. It is one of the biggest industries in Argentina. If tourism stops, Argentina will have a lot of problems especially if the recession gets worse.

"This is the beginning of the end".

Sunny discounts how important tourism is to many cities and regions around Argentina. It is one of the biggest industries. And she is wrong. many restaurants and businesses to depend on tourism.

With the utility rates rising 300% and gas 400% you are going to see an avalanche of companies going out of business this year and next year.

I also worry about the dwindling tourism @BikeEnthusiast. People downplay how important tourism is but it drives a lot of spending not only with people going out and eating and drinking at restaurants but also shopping and support of small businesses.

Someone posted an article on another thread. I can't find it how important tourism is and how many are employed in Argentina in the sector. It surprised me as the # was so big. It also is a significant contributor to the GDP of Argentina. Millions of Argentines are employed in the sector.

I believe I read it's about 10% of the GDP. When it was in the 1:1 days there was no tourism here as it was too expensive. I would hate to see that happen again.

No doubt the local economy is also very important but you'd be surprised how much tourism helps the economy. It is one of the biggest industries in Argentina. If tourism stops, Argentina will have a lot of problems especially if the recession gets worse.
I don't know how much tourism dollars are in play but I can tell you that I stayed at the Park Hyatt Hotel my first 2 stays and it was all full of international tourists. The hotel was sold out both times for various events. I went to have afternoon Tea at the Alvear Palace Hotel and that looks to be a lot of foreigners as well. Probably the same at the Four Seasons nearby. I would have to believe tourism $$$ are vital to the hotels and restaurants. I went to many higher end restaurants and it was full of foreign tourists.

Back