Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Transportation increases and anyone who does not have the SUBE in their name will pay up to double the fare - La Nacion

Vince

I posted in another thread but I thought I'd post here too in case.

Thank you. I see you need to register on this website below. Does anyone know if there is a way to register with a passport # if you don't have a DNI or permanent resident ID #? I click on Registrarla (register) but it won't take a passport #. I met an American that said they had registered their passport but I just assumed it was website but it doesn't work.

SUBE

Desarrollamos la tecnología para simplificar y mejorar el acceso al transporte público.
www.argentina.gob.ar
www.argentina.gob.ar

i just bought a Sube card 2 days ago on 19Jan2024, it was 880 Pesos (~80 cents USD) cash, and each ride was about 100 Pesos or just under (i just added 500 Pesos to test it). i heard the cards for the Subte were really hard to find, but at the Retiro main area they had plenty of them, and it was super easy! i don't have a DNI, and wasn't asked for anything other than money.

i just bought a Sube card 2 days ago on 19Jan2024, it was 880 Pesos (~80 cents USD) cash, and each ride was about 100 Pesos or just under (i just added 500 Pesos to test it). i heard the cards for the Subte were really hard to find, but at the Retiro main area they had plenty of them, and it was super easy! i don't have a DNI, and wasn't asked for anything other than money.
Thanks. None of my friends visiting have had issues getting a Sube card. I think they have them at EZE airport as well so many just pick them up once they land. I haven't taken the Subte in a while but one of my friends visiting me said they registered their Sube card with their passport #. You can do it at the Retiro train station. I'm not sure what benefit my friend got or why they did it but they said they did do it there with help from an agent. They just had a photocopy of their passport. I'm not sure how easy or difficult it is now.

The increase is painful for locals but for tourists these are dirt cheap prices. I just take taxis or Uber when I am in town.

My maid just asked for a raise because of this increase in subte and transportation increase. Probably like many service workers, they are coming from far away to work here. I just gave her a raise in December but I gave her another 30% raise to help her cover her transportation costs.

Yikes, I wonder if there was really a decrease or the # of people just jumping the turnstiles drastically went up?

I was shocked at how many people jump the stalls where you pay. It was not just one or two but the last time I was in town I was shocked as it was probably at least half the people were jumping the stalls. I also saw it on the news. Is this still happening?

The problem is that no one is controlling it, and there's another phenomenon currently happening: many people are commuting to work by bicycle. This is one of the causes of the decline in public transportation usage as well.

I also read that the city has initiated a legal action requesting to halt the subway fare increase. We’ll see what happens.

The problem is that no one is controlling it, and there's another phenomenon currently happening: many people are commuting to work by bicycle. This is one of the causes of the decline in public transportation usage as well.

I also read that the city has initiated a legal action requesting to halt the subway fare increase. We’ll see what happens.

I think prices need to go up from what they were but it needs to be a gradual increase. Pushing all of these increases on the lower and middle classes is a mistake. Between people not taking it and people just jumping turnstiles, they might see it was better to do a gradual increase.

Where do people store their bikes? Unless there is an area to lock them up inside, I think that is dangerous. I had a bike and it was stolen very quickly. Now I don't dare park it outside. No matter what type of lock you have they will steal it.

Back