Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Traveling to Buenos Aires - Inflation

Marxist

Hello everyone

My girlfriend and I were planning to visit Buenos Aires in May. We have been following the news and we see the one about the new government and inflation and we are wondering.....
apologies for our Yankee attitudes, but practically speaking... how do things look? What is the current situation in Buenos Aires in terms of the new government administration and inflation? Is it safe to visit in May?
Given the high inflation rate, how could we manage payments during our visit?
Is there a risk of riots or protests on the horizon?how are things looking? Any advice would be great. Thank you very much!

Carrying a strong currency like USD and spending in ARS, a weaker currency, will make things affordable for you. However, for locals, it's a different story. Each time the Argentine peso depreciates against the dollar, they lose purchasing power, needing more money to buy the same things. Meanwhile, your dollars stretch further. Therefore, it's important to be respectful and discreet, considering the delicate economic situation of Argentinians.

No riots are on the horizon, nothing out of the ordinary. Argentina has been battling inflation for years, unfortunately. It's a situation that's not new.

At least prices are heading down. Food and drink inflation chart and you can see inflation is going down on these things and many other things.

GNQIvSrWcAE3IxN.jpeg

Yes, I'm seeing big differences in some products but then they'll switch prices and what was cheaper this week will be more expensive next week. I mean, they are not keeping the prices down. It's switcheroo season, it seems, at least at Coto.

BTW, have you tried the brand Tregar? They make really good port salut and cremoso.
I notice the same thing. Prices bounce around a lot here. Tregar has great cremoso. At least generally prices are trending downwards on many items. I often wonder if Massa won what prices would be doing right now in terms of peso prices and also wonder what the blue rate would be at and the true USD costs.

Back