Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Trip Reports Trip report BA to Iguazu to Calafate to Punta Tombo 13 night

allie3

I wanted to share my travel experience because I carefully planned my itinerary based on valuable insights from TA, and I'm appreciative of the guidance! Our group consisted of 2 adults and 2 kids aged 8 and 11. We started with a 3-night stay at Be Hollywood (not recommended). In retrospect, I would opt for Recoleta instead. Later, we headed to Iguazu for 2 nights, choosing Falls Iguazu Hotel (excellent) but suggesting Melia if being close to the falls is a priority. Melia is within the park, allowing you to experience the falls before the crowds, though it takes longer to reach the Brazilian side. Both hotels are solid choices.

On the second day, we explored the falls from the Brazilian side, including the thrilling Macuco Safari boat ride (only for children under 12 on the Brazilian side). The boat ride is a must; going under the falls and getting soaked is an exhilarating experience. Forget about packing a poncho; it won't help!

Upon returning to BA, we spent 1 night at Hilton Puerto Madero (amazing). Then, we flew to El Calafate, where we stayed 2 nights at Rochester Hotel (nice, friendly staff). Next, we flew to Trelew and spent 2 nights at Estancia La Antonieta, a remote place near Punta Tombo. We enjoyed seeing the penguins before the cruise ship crowds and had an amazing experience with the elephant seals on the estancia's property.

Back in BA, we stayed at Hilton again for 2 nights before heading back to LA.
Essential activities in BA:
  1. Safari Delta in Tigre.
  2. Dine at La Cabrera (try empanadas and wagyu steak).
  3. Explore Recoleta Cemetery, La Boca, San Telmo's Sunday market.
  4. Consider Sottovoce in Puerto Madero if you're a fan of Italian cuisine.
  5. Avoid exchanging money with street vendors shouting "cambio"; it's risky.
Must-dos in Iguazu:
  1. See the falls from both sides (spend 1 full day on each side, and remember the Brazilian visa).
  2. Experience the exhilarating boat tour.
Top activities in Calafate:
  1. Trek the Perito Moreno Glacier (we did the mini-trek).
  2. Enjoy horseback riding in Estancia Rio Mitre if you love riding in open fields with pretty flowers.
  3. Secure a table well in advance at Mi Rancho for an outstanding meal (try the Patagonian lamb BBQ).
Key activity in Trelew:
  1. Visit for penguins and elephant seals; the town itself doesn't offer much.
Initially, I worried about fitting too much into 13 nights, but my kids embraced every moment of the journey. I hope this summary proves helpful!

Back