Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Walking alone along Calle Florida in the evening

MaxP

Is it safe to walk alone from my hotel near Catalinas subway station to the Obelisco de Buenos Aires/Av. 9 de Julio via Calle Florida after sunset?

It's funny—I had to look up the Catalinas subway station; I wasn't familiar with that one. Apparently, it's relatively new.

Anyway, Calle Florida is pedestrian-only, and for me, it feels like a safe and easy way to walk across town. There are always people around, which helps with safety.

I wouldn't hesitate to walk there until midnight.

Just so you know, you won't reach the Obelisco by walking along Florida. When you get to Corrientes, turn right. The Obelisco is located at the intersection of Corrientes and 9 de Julio.

Thank you for your kind response.

Is it safe to stroll around the Obelisco de Buenos Aires/Avenida 9 de Julio in the evenings until 10 PM?

"After sunset" yes

Up until about 10pm yes

After 10 pm... yes.. with a be careful, travel in groups if possible, no watches or visible jewellery, don't be a dumbass speaking English loudly, flashing cash etc

"After sunset" yes

Up until about 10pm yes

After 10 pm... yes.. with a be careful, travel in groups if possible, no watches or visible jewellery, don't be a dumbass speaking English loudly, flashing cash etc
Agreed. You would be surprised how many drunk tourists you see late at night that are primed to get robbed.

Back