Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Education What apps do you use to learn or improve your Spanish?

Fred58

Since I've been living here, I've been trying to improve my Spanish. Besides doing it to get by better here, I do it because it's a language that has interested and appealed to me even before I moved here. Also, if you have any recommendations for sites where I can learn slang, I would greatly appreciate it.

I often use Babel's premium version because it offers a wide range of learning options. From app lessons to live online classes, games, videos, podcasts, and more, Babel goes beyond just teaching language. It helps you truly understand every aspect of it, culture, history, people, and places.

The best "App" is to find a girlfriend/boyfriend and date and practice Spanish that way. Also, watching movies on Netflix in Spanish with subtitles will also help. Practice, practice, practice.
Yes, I agree with your approach Vince! I took Spanish a few years in high school and never paid too much attention. Then used Pimsleur. I'm not sure if that software is still around but I enjoyed it. But probably the best teacher was dating a lot of Latinas and then marrying one. :)

Yes, I agree with your approach Vince! I took Spanish a few years in high school and never paid too much attention. Then used Pimsleur. I'm not sure if that software is still around but I enjoyed it. But probably the best teacher was dating a lot of Latinas and then marrying one. :)
Pimsleur is still around and very good. They have free trial offers so you can see if you like it.

Also the advice to get a girlfriend or boyfriend here is a great one. Great way to practice.

Depends on what level you are and what you're focusing on. Whether it's listening, speaking, grammar, vocabulary or something else you'll want to focus on something specific. Right now, I'm focusing on improving my vocabulary. And I'm finding it helpful to watch what I normally watch in English but have the subtitles in Spanish. As I read the Spanish and listen the English words, if there's a translation I don't recognize I jot it down and continue watching. What I've seen is these jotted down words keep reappearing and reinforces it into my memory, especially so seeing them used in context.

Since I've been living here, I've been trying to improve my Spanish. Besides doing it to get by better here, I do it because it's a language that has interested and appealed to me even before I moved here. Also, if you have any recommendations for sites where I can learn slang, I would greatly appreciate it.
This book has tons of Argentine slang.

Although it would be better served if it were listed by how common they were as it can be overwhelming, and some I hear are outdated or more common depending on region/age.

Depends on what level you are and what you're focusing on. Whether it's listening, speaking, grammar, vocabulary or something else you'll want to focus on something specific. Right now, I'm focusing on improving my vocabulary. And I'm finding it helpful to watch what I normally watch in English but have the subtitles in Spanish. As I read the Spanish and listen the English words, if there's a translation I don't recognize I jot it down and continue watching. What I've seen is these jotted down words keep reappearing and reinforces it into my memory, especially so seeing them used in context.
I agree about vocabulary. Even if I can't speak too well if I know what everything means eventually people understand what I am talking about. I do the opposite as you @futuro and I watch movies in Spanish and put English subtitles so I can see how they pronounce it.

Back