Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

What happened to BA's nightlife spots? Madaho's, Black's and all the other clubs?

I just arrived in town last week. I haven't been here since the end of 2009. Wow things have sure changed quite a bit. Recoleta is still the same but what happened to all the Clubs in Recoleta? I was really surprised to see some of the popular clubs all closed down. I'm staying at the Alvear Palace Hotel and expected to just walk over and hit Black's. When did all these Clubs close down and why?

I just arrived in town last week. I haven't been here since the end of 2009. Wow things have sure changed quite a bit. Recoleta is still the same but what happened to all the Clubs in Recoleta? I was really surprised to see some of the popular clubs all closed down. I'm staying at the Alvear Palace Hotel and expected to just walk over and hit Black's. When did all these Clubs close down and why?
Ah the glory days. Most of these Clubs have all been shut down. Black's closed down in mid-2010. Madaho's closed down at the end of 2013 or so. I visited these Clubs many times for many years. There were many Clubs around the city but they are all closed down now. They say that drug trafficking was going on and sexual exploitation but I never saw any drugs being sold but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I had several female friends that went to these clubs and all went on their own free will. But there were a lot of community groups like La Alameda that just kept pushing to shut them down.

All these clubs were very popular. I had many friends that came in town and both of these clubs were a good place to just grab a drink and watch a show as they had stages with performers. They were accused of human trafficking but like you @Bob I knew people that went there and no one was forced to be there.

BA has changed a lot over the years.

Ah the glory days. Most of these Clubs have all been shut down. Black's closed down in mid-2010. Madaho's closed down at the end of 2013 or so. I visited these Clubs many times for many years. There were many Clubs around the city but they are all closed down now. They say that drug trafficking was going on and sexual exploitation but I never saw any drugs being sold but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I had several female friends that went to these clubs and all went on their own free will. But there were a lot of community groups like La Alameda that just kept pushing to shut them down.
Thanks Bob. I sent you a DM.

It is crazy how quickly they all closed after that. But in speaking to people I know the biggest reason all the owners closed was AFIP was investigating them for tax evasion so they all closed down. All these places were cash businesses. Like many, I would go for a drink and to watch the scene. Many work colleagues would frequent these places. Very popular with the locals.

It is crazy how quickly they all closed after that. But in speaking to people I know the biggest reason all the owners closed was AFIP was investigating them for tax evasion so they all closed down. All these places were cash businesses. Like many, I would go for a drink and to watch the scene. Many work colleagues would frequent these places. Very popular with the locals.
Makes sense about AFIP. What about Cocodrillo's? I see that is still open. Same as before? I see they have a website and says dinner shows? Is this a restaurant now?

I see it's still open. And read some reviews so assume it's still the same?

Last edited:
Makes sense about AFIP. What about Cocodrillo's? I see that is still open. Same as before? I see they have a website and says dinner shows? Is this a restaurant now?

I didn't know this was still open! This has to be 30 years and this place is still around. Thought it long closed with all the other clubs but will have to stop by next time I'm in town.

Not sure about any of these places. But my friend was in town a few weeks ago and went to Cocodrillos. He said it's a super late-night place. I guess they have some bachelor parties there. He went there after going to some clubs. He went with another friend and they had fun he said. Great vibe they said! I'm confused though as I just saw some Google reviews and I see a video of a male singing and an old woman there eating. Not what I was expecting reading this!

Man of Steel sent you a DM. Anyone been to Rio recently? I heard that city is a lot more fun for a single male.
I go to Rio all the time. That city is much different than BA for nightlife. The only bad thing about Rio is if you go you may not come back to BA. :ROFLMAO:

Believe it or not I ran into Justin Bieber many years ago at Centaurus. @Blockchain it's a short 3 hour flight from BA to Rio. Rio is a great city. Nightlife and during the day too are crazy there. Just ask your hotel concierge about termas and they will direct you to a few. Centaurus is very good but Monte Carlo is my favorite. Have fun!

Ah you guys bring back fond memories. I remember in 2005 when I first moved here how vibrant these places were. The claims of human trafficking are false. No one was stuck working here. Had bartender friends at both Black and Madahos. People choose to work there but were not forced into it.

Maybe I will take one for the team and check it out on my next visit. I looked and my new apartment is around the corner from this Club so I will see how it is.

Back