Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer What is the current status of the Cartoneros?

Fox

What has happened to the Cartoneros? We've just arrived in Buenos Aires, staying in the Recoleta area, and haven't encountered any Cartoneros so far. Is there a possibility that the government has prohibited their activities? I sincerely hope this isn't the case. For those unfamiliar with the term, Cartoneros are individuals who navigate the streets, sifting through garbage to collect recyclables. The name is derived from "cartón," Spanish for cardboard, signifying those who gather cardboard and other recyclable materials. Collecting recyclables has been a source of guaranteed income, especially in times of crisis when alternative employment opportunities are scarce. Cartoneros typically take the collected paper, cardboard, plastic, and metals to processing plants in exchange for monetary compensation. This information is paraphrased from a description on theculturetrip.

Not only do the Cartoneros still operate in the area, but we also frequently encounter individuals ringing at our doorstep, inquiring about any available food or clothing donations.

Indeed, I observed several cartoneros in different neighborhoods last week. Among them, two or three were working without shirts, while others were clad in orange vests. The distinct styles raised my curiosity, prompting me to wonder if there are different guilds or types of cartoneros.

Interestingly, my experience is quite the opposite. Despite visiting Buenos Aires almost every year for the past 12 years, I had never really paid much attention to cartoneros. However, now they seem to be ubiquitous in the Cañitas and Palermo areas where I usually stay and frequently explore. It's possible that they have expanded their presence beyond Recoleta!

Our balcony in Palermo provides a view of a dumpster. Several times a day, individuals sift through its contents in search of items. Some nearby residents opt to place their discarded cardboard beside the dumpster, making it more accessible for those looking through it.

On occasion, usable items such as old shoes or clothing are placed on top of the dumpster to ensure they can be used without getting dirty.

My dad just visited me here and was amazed at how it is now. He lived in BA in 2005-2008 and he said there weren't any dumpsters on the street and bags of trash were lined up on every corner and trash was all over. He was amazed there is a dumpster including recycling on almost every block.

He said BA has progressed quite a bit which was good to hear.

Back