Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer What is the duration required for customs clearance?

kyron

We will be arriving from London with a landing time around 10:20 am at EZE. I'm considering booking a flight to El Calafate from AEP, with a departure time of 4:15 pm. I'd like to inquire about the estimated duration for customs clearance and whether it's feasible to make it to the connecting flight. Alternatively, if time is tight, we might opt to stay overnight and catch an early flight the next day.

I've checked for hotels at AEP, but it seems there are none available. Could you recommend any hotels near AEP, especially considering our early departure?

Thank you.

It's difficult to predict the exact time needed for customs clearance, as it can vary based on factors such as the number of arriving flights. Our experience last night was swift, taking only 5 minutes, but we were among the first to disembark. Considering the volume of passengers on the plane, it's hard to estimate.

If it takes an hour to clear customs and an additional 2 hours to reach AEP, it seems plausible to make the connection, leaving ample time. Regarding hotels, I recommend checking Booking.com for options in the vicinity.

Hope this helps!

I would advise against opting for a brief layover. Even if your initial flight is punctual, immigration procedures might consume two hours or even longer. Additionally, the journey between the two airports by bus surpasses the two-hour mark. While a taxi may offer a slightly quicker option, it comes with a considerably higher cost.

Why not consider spending a night in Buenos Aires instead?

If you're referring to BA249 from London, I had a similar experience in December. The flight lands at a busy time at EZE, with several other long-haul flights arriving simultaneously. The passport hall was chaotic, with queues extending back to the escalators, and officials struggling to maintain order. Fortunately, we were able to skip the line due to having young children, but it seemed stressful for those with foreign passports.
After the passport control, there's a customs line where they X-ray your bags on the way out. In recent years, the queues for this process have been shorter. Despite the potential stress, BA249 is generally a punctual flight, even with the stop in Rio.
However, I would caution that the tight connection and the possibility of delays might lead to a stressful experience. Even if you opt for a taxi to AEP and encounter low traffic, there's a risk of arriving too late.
Considering AEP's central location, you might want to explore hotels in the city within a reasonable distance. Recoleta is a good option, as the wide roads make the 15-minute taxi ride manageable even during rush hour. It's a pleasant area to spend the day and evening while waiting for your flight the next day.

Thank you very much for your help!

Certainly, I appreciate your gratitude!

I opted to book a flight for the following day since it appeared to be the last flight available. However, I encountered an issue when trying to book directly through the JetSmart website. Each time I attempted to access the site, it displayed a message indicating "forbidden access."

Back