Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer What is the recommended amount of cash to bring for my stay in Buenos Aires?

dreikm

For our upcoming trip, my wife and I will spend three days in Buenos Aires and two days in the Argentinian Patagonia with a tour group. The package includes two dinners and two tours (a city tour and a visit to a gaucho ranch). We have approximately half of our time free to explore. We plan to purchase a few dinners, visit a museum, and buy some souvenirs. Could you please advise on how much cash we should bring, either in Pesos or the equivalent in US dollars?

The optimal approach is to bring fresh US dollars and exchange them in the Blue Market for the most favorable rate. It is advisable not to carry Pesos.

The highest rate can be obtained by bringing 100-dollar bills that are as new as possible and in flawless condition.

The response is that it's impossible to provide an accurate answer without knowing the specific expenditures, as costs can vary widely (for instance, a dinner for two could range from 20,000 pesos to over 200,000 pesos).

Credit cards are widely accepted and offer favorable exchange rates, making them a preferable option over carrying large amounts of pesos.

In our initial two weeks here, we've used US$100 (100,000 pesos). However, it's important to note that inflation is rampant, so it's not advisable to exchange a significant amount of US dollars for Argentine pesos. As an example, yesterday we received 120,000 pesos for US$100, reflecting a 20% difference in just two weeks.

We utilized the pesos for tips, minor purchases (such as drinks at kiosks), and a few taxi rides.

I recommend checking the Visa exchange rate before your departure. If it closely aligns with the blue dollar rate, then relying on credit cards for most transactions is a wise choice. It's important to note that credit card rates can be approximately 10% higher than cash rates, in addition to the actual exchange fee. However, carrying a couple of hundred bucks in cash is advisable for convenience, especially for purchases in street markets, snacks, or transportation like taxis or Uber.

In Argentina, restaurant meals are generally 40-50% cheaper than in the US. Consider bringing half of what you'd typically spend on meals in the US, plus a bit extra. Souvenirs can vary greatly in price, and while they can be as expensive as in the US, it's a good idea to decide on a budget in dollars for souvenirs and bring at least half of that amount in cash to be on the safe side.

Back