Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

What to know about Milei's bid to liberalize Argentina's economy -France 24

Larry

What could change in daily life?​

Ten days after taking office, and on the eve of the festive holidays, Milei presented his "necessary and urgent" decree to loosen some of the rules governing the country's economy as annual inflation hit 160 percent.

One big change will be the removal of all constraints between tenant and landlord, such as laws on rental increases.

In recent years landlords have increasingly priced their properties in dollars to avoid being stuck with rental income long overtaken by soaring inflation. This has been a nightmare for renters in a country where access to dollars had been strictly controlled.

Milei has also loosened labor laws, with the trial period for new employees going from three to eight months. Compensation laws for dismissal without cause have been modified in favor of companies and he plans to renegotiate labor agreements in force since 1975.

He also scrapped limits on exports, and said the internet market will be liberalized.

Source:

What could change in daily life?​

Ten days after taking office, and on the eve of the festive holidays, Milei presented his "necessary and urgent" decree to loosen some of the rules governing the country's economy as annual inflation hit 160 percent.

One big change will be the removal of all constraints between tenant and landlord, such as laws on rental increases.

In recent years landlords have increasingly priced their properties in dollars to avoid being stuck with rental income long overtaken by soaring inflation. This has been a nightmare for renters in a country where access to dollars had been strictly controlled.

Milei has also loosened labor laws, with the trial period for new employees going from three to eight months. Compensation laws for dismissal without cause have been modified in favor of companies and he plans to renegotiate labor agreements in force since 1975.

He also scrapped limits on exports, and said the internet market will be liberalized.

Source:

I have owned a business in Argentina for many years. The most horrible thing is the labor laws. I cant wait to see what Milei does to fix these horrible labor laws. Compensation laws for dismissal have been horrible too! I cant wait see what comes out!

I have owned a business in Argentina for many years. The most horrible thing is the labor laws. I cant wait to see what Milei does to fix these horrible labor laws. Compensation laws for dismissal have been horrible too! I cant wait see what comes out!
We must have labor laws to protect the workers against the business owners that will take advantage of them.

Back