Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

What's the usual custom regarding splitting the bill on a first date in Argentina?

little cloud

I'm not sure what the custom is here in Argentina, but this girl went viral for her post where she recounts having a date where they went out to dinner, and when it came time to pay, he asked her to split the bill, even though he had invited. She was quite indignant about it.

I don't think a guy should ask a female out on a date if he can't pay for the meal. If someone wants to pay or demands it (yes there is that type) they should be allowed to but men should NOT expect this to be the norm.

Agree! It seems like many guys these days are losers. If you can't afford to take a female out on a date you shouldn't invite someone out on a date. What a disgrace!

This is strange... She says it was an expensive place, they ate pasta, he ordered two fernet drinks. That would cost 20K at Pippo, an extra cheap pasta place that has been around forever, ordering the most basic pasta dishes.

In any case, we are hearing her version on TikTok. People will say and do anything for views... Did the guy really say, "Te invito"? Or was it more like, "Querés ir a cenar?"

I don't buy it.

For young people (<30) splitting the bill is normal. Actually, girls prefer it.

This is strange... She says it was an expensive place, they ate pasta, he ordered two fernet drinks. That would cost 20K at Pippo, an extra cheap pasta place that has been around forever, ordering the most basic pasta dishes.

In any case, we are hearing her version on TikTok. People will say and do anything for views... Did the guy really say, "Te invito"? Or was it more like, "Querés ir a cenar?"

I don't buy it.

For young people (<30) splitting the bill is normal. Actually, girls prefer it.
Two sides to every story but still I don't think males should ask out females unless they are prepared to pay for the date. I am old school like that. Still, I don't have any issues if my girlfriend wants to pay for 50% of the check! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: But she would never offer or ask.

Here in Argentina, things have changed a lot regarding chivalry, and I believe it's due to the country's economic situation. It used to be customary for the man to always pay, but now it's more common to share the bill. Women accept this because they understand the situation, unless it's a first date, in which case I believe the man should pay as it serves as a first impression. I think it's different in other countries because of cultural differences, but here, many things have changed.

A shame if a male can't invite a girl out on a date and the female expect to get treated. Things are going in the wrong direction in so many ways.

Back