Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

My building has it, it's 24 hr security. They watch the cameras in the lobby and other entrances to the building. The guards can also communicate with the people who live in the building, meaning you can talk to them and they can answer you, they can hear your conversations in the lobby too. I think it is a very effective system. They are called "totems."
More and more buildings are going to that system because it's cheaper than hiring a doorman. Hiring staff in buildings is expensive so more buildings that are newer plan to go with this system and some older buildings with security guards are switching to save money.

My building has it, it's 24 hr security. They watch the cameras in the lobby and other entrances to the building. The guards can also communicate with the people who live in the building, meaning you can talk to them and they can answer you, they can hear your conversations in the lobby too. I think it is a very effective system. They are called "totems."

This is one of the companies: https://sesytel.com.ar/edificios/totem-de-seguridad-monitoreado/
@Sunny how do you like it? Does it work well? I haven't talked to anyone with this system in place. I heard each representative has as many as 10-20 buildings to watch. Is the system ever down? Do they open the door for guests or do you have to walk down to receive them?

This is one of the companies: https://sesytel.com.ar/edificios/totem-de-seguridad-monitoreado/
That's cool that your building uses it. I haven't been to a building that uses it but I see them walking by some buildings. Also, you can watch this funny show and see the doorman getting replaced by one of these machines. It was the same.

I haven't watched El Encargado, but it's on my list. It'd be fun to watch the episode you mentioned because totems cannot replace the encargado. But I'm pretty sure in a few years we will have encargado robots. We are going back to The Jetsons. I want my own Rosey!!! 😀
I have seen that show! It is very funny. Very clever acting. The main character is very good! You have to watch it Sunny. I don't think they can replace doorman but more so the security guard sitting at desk.

I saw this online. I was trying to find some videos of them in use in Buenos Aires on Tik Tok but I couldn't find any.

Oh thank you for sharing your experience, I have seen it in several buildings and I was curious to know how that kind of security worked.

These new systems are really great. Some of the new buildings that I just bought properties in will utilize this system. Some of the technology that is coming will be amazing. I own an apartment in Mexico where it's very high tech. You can't even use the elevators without having a scan of your face so it will immediately recognize you when you enter the building. I'm told this technology will be used in some of these screens as well.

@Sunny does your building utilize face recognition? Or QR codes? This will cut down quite a bit on expenses in buildings that had traditional security guards before.

This system cannot replace an encargado. Encargados don't do vigilance. In my building you still have to use the fob to open the door and come down to receive guests, which is such a pain... The system works well, the guards rotate. I will ask how many buildings they watch and let you know, but that probably varies. The system has never been down even when we had two brief blackouts in April.
These new systems are really great. Some of the new buildings that I just bought properties in will utilize this system. Some of the technology that is coming will be amazing. I own an apartment in Mexico where it's very high tech. You can't even use the elevators without having a scan of your face so it will immediately recognize you when you enter the building. I'm told this technology will be used in some of these screens as well.

@Sunny does your building utilize face recognition? Or QR codes? This will cut down quite a bit on expenses in buildings that had traditional security guards before.
I rented an apartment in a building with one of these but as @Sunny mentioned it was such a pain having to go down for each guest.

@earlyretirement, that would be cool about face recognition of QR codes! Do you rent out your apartment? How do guests use the elevators? I am assuming QR codes on their phones? That would be cool if they could do that here.

I rented an apartment in a building with one of these but as @Sunny mentioned it was such a pain having to go down for each guest.

@earlyretirement, that would be cool about face recognition of QR codes! Do you rent out your apartment? How do guests use the elevators? I am assuming QR codes on their phones? That would be cool if they could do that here.
Yes I rent out my apartment on Airbnb. The building is very high end and they have 2 security guards but this facial recognition is a further security measure so no elevators in the building can be used without facial recognition for owners or my rental guests I have to register them ahead of time wth Passport and they are assigned a QR code that works in the elevators and also the Cinema in the building, Spa, pool area, gym, etc.

It does not, but if that's something that can be added at an extra cost, it might take a while before the consorcio approves it (right now they are stuck in a no hay plata phase).
Sorry Sunny I didn't see your previous post above about limited function.

Back