Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Why is nobody speaking the truth about BA?

piper

Why isn't anyone being straightforward? Buenos Aires is more expensive than Brazil and Central, Eastern, and Southern Europe. Inflation is outweighing the effects of devaluation, meaning that things are getting pricier from a dollar perspective compared to last year. The economy is volatile, so this advice might be outdated by next month; staying updated with the news is crucial. Relying solely on Numbeo isn't sufficient.
Some tips for expense planning:
  • If you want to live alone in a central area, accommodation can cost around $30 per night.
  • Taxis are one area where it holds true that it is very affordable; most rides for short distances around the city range from $1 to $5. Taxis are sometimes cheaper than Uber.
While things are relatively more expensive now, it's important to acknowledge that locals are facing even greater challenges. With a new president experimenting with the economy, these difficulties are likely to persist.

Argentina is a rollercoaster of economic shifts. I arrived in December when everything was incredibly affordable, but by January, prices had skyrocketed.

However, I still believe the comparison isn't entirely fair because the quality of food in Argentina is simply outstanding. You can enjoy a fantastic meal that would cost much more elsewhere for under $10.

I have a friend who's also staying in Buenos Aires and refuses to stay anywhere other than Palermo. He only goes out to eat in Palermo or San Telmo and always complains about how expensive Buenos Aires is. I stayed in Caballito, and yes, inflation is happening, but coming from the United States, it's nowhere near the prices I'm used to in my country. I've noticed things are more expensive than they were last year, but outside the main downtown area and obviously outside the capital, things are much more affordable when it comes to housing and restaurants anyway.

Why isn't anyone being straightforward? Buenos Aires is more expensive than Brazil and Central, Eastern, and Southern Europe. Inflation is outweighing the effects of devaluation, meaning that things are getting pricier from a dollar perspective compared to last year. The economy is volatile, so this advice might be outdated by next month; staying updated with the news is crucial. Relying solely on Numbeo isn't sufficient.
  • If you want to live alone in a central area, accommodation can cost around $30 per night.
  • Taxis are one area where it holds true that it is very affordable; most rides for short distances around the city range from $1 to $5. Taxis are sometimes cheaper than Uber.
While things are relatively more expensive now, it's important to acknowledge that locals are facing even greater challenges. With a new president experimenting with the economy, these difficulties are likely to persist.
Yes, Buenos Aires is becoming increasingly expensive in USD. Despite this, we still have a steady flow of people from Brazil and Chile coming to our country because everything is cheaper here.

I'm not sure if this is still happening, but not too long ago, there were lines of cars outside of customs at the border with Uruguay because people were coming here to do their grocery shopping.

Argentina is a rollercoaster of economic shifts. I arrived in December when everything was incredibly affordable, but by January, prices had skyrocketed.

However, I still believe the comparison isn't entirely fair because the quality of food in Argentina is simply outstanding. You can enjoy a fantastic meal that would cost much more elsewhere for under $10.
Yes there IS inflation in Argentina but there has been for a while. The difference now is that the blue rate isn't making up for it. But besides healthcare and a few other things that most tourists don't come across like gas it isn't fair to say everything was affordable in December and one month later it had skyrocketed. Just not true.

It still is affordable compared to USA. Try getting whatever you are getting in the USA and see how much it is.

If BA was more expensive than Brazil I doubt you would have all these people from Brazil flocking here and saying they are coming as it is so much cheaper than back home. Probably depends where in Brazil too but I find it much more affordable in BA vs. most major cities in Brazil.

Saying the economy is volatile isn't saying much as it has always been volatile in Argentina. I doubt next month it will be any different. It will still be volatile.

Previous Presidents are why Argentina is such a mess. The new President is doing a pretty good job of balancing the budget and cutting spending.

I have a friend who's also staying in Buenos Aires and refuses to stay anywhere other than Palermo. He only goes out to eat in Palermo or San Telmo and always complains about how expensive Buenos Aires is. I stayed in Caballito, and yes, inflation is happening, but coming from the United States, it's nowhere near the prices I'm used to in my country. I've noticed things are more expensive than they were last year, but outside the main downtown area and obviously outside the capital, things are much more affordable when it comes to housing and restaurants anyway.
You always overpay in Palermo. Especially Palermo Soho. Even within Palermo, there are places where more locals go vs. tourists. There are certain restaurants that are known by tourists like Don Julio or now El Preferido de Palermo (same owner) that should be avoided. Same steak elsewhere might be 1/2 or 1/3 of the price.

You always overpay in Palermo. Especially Palermo Soho. Even within Palermo, there are places where more locals go vs. tourists. There are certain restaurants that are known by tourists like Don Julio or now El Preferido de Palermo (same owner) that should be avoided. Same steak elsewhere might be 1/2 or 1/3 of the price.
I frequented El Preferido de Palermo for years prior. It formally was a neighborhood establishment with many locals. Now it is all tourists following one another like sheep. Prices are greatly inflated.

For people earning in foreign currency, local prices have roughly 2x’d in dollar terms since December last year.

Really ? I'm coming to BA next week and looking for a nice airbnb right now they are all 30-40 % cheaper than comparable places in Brasil
Brazil is quite expensive compared to Buenos Aires in my experience. What are all of these things cheaper in Brazil that people are talking about? Go to Sao Paulo or Rio and most things cost more (Uber, restaurants, hotels, Airbnbs, etc). I'd love to know what is cheaper there?

I agree. Prices very high now. Prices more than double from last year. You will see tipping point in 3 months with angry people. All my friend need spend their USD savings because they can't buy food and pay bills with salary. That why the dollar go down now. If things don't improve you will see more riot in street.

I agree. Prices very high now. Prices more than double from last year. You will see tipping point in 3 months with angry people. All my friend need spend their USD savings because they can't buy food and pay bills with salary. That why the dollar go down now. If things don't improve you will see more riot in street.
Milei is going to save Argentina have faith

Milei is going to save Argentina have faith
Agree with you over the long term Milei will turn Argentina around. I do admit over the short-term it will be painful and hopefully locals have patience to see this change through. But no doubt I see the struggles by the locals.

Back