Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Why local Argentine don't invest much in stock market Merval? Anyone know?

MikeDos

I moved out of Argentina many years ago but my mother live in Argentina. I just come yearly to visit her. I am wondering why don't many locals invest in stock market like the USA? In the USA all my co-workers and most people I know invest in stock market with IRA or 401K. The Argentina Merval stock market go up tremendously.

I ask my mom and she said none of her friends invest in stock market Merval here. Do they have index mutual funds in Argentina like all over the USA?

The Merval has become much more popular. It's only in the past year that some local friends started investing more in it but I think the $$$$ crowd has been in stock market for a while. Many don't declare all their income and much of their funds are hidden offshore most likely so they don't want any papertrail I'm guessing.

But you can read here of many more Argentines that are opening accounts.

The Merval has become much more popular. It's only in the past year that some local friends started investing more in it but I think the $$$$ crowd has been in stock market for a while. Many don't declare all their income and much of their funds are hidden offshore most likely so they don't want any papertrail I'm guessing.

But you can read here of many more Argentines that are opening accounts.

I read a bunch of posts that more and more are opening them but I agree with @Betsy Ross probably many aren't declaring all their income.

People are investing in places like these:

Back