Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer A normal day for a young person in Argentina

Princesa

I can attest that this is how most young people, and not-so-young people, feel in the country. Jobs promise the world, yet they often fail to deliver on what was promised during interviews. They sell you the idea of the best job of your life, which clearly isn’t reflected in the salary. There are greedy bosses and tasks that don’t match the position advertised.

However, since Argentina is going through a crisis, employees are expected to settle for less. I’ve worked in human resources, and believe me, the frustration caused by these employers often leads to depression or pushes people to their limits, playing with their needs.

This is one reason many work just to save a few dollars to leave for a country where even a dishwasher is valued more. Then, they complain when young people leave and even judge them.

It’s crucial to educate oneself and emulate the best practices, understanding employees' needs so they can work in a comfortable environment and feel motivated. But, of course, it’s a tough and long process.

You’re absolutely right. A friend’s daughter went through a very similar situation. She always felt pressured, and despite giving her best every day, she didn’t receive the recognition she deserved. The fear of asking for a raise paralyzed her, which is something many young people face in today’s job market.

One day, she decided to muster the courage to discuss her situation with her boss and requested a raise. Unfortunately, not only was her request denied, but it also affected her even more, especially in the context of a crisis. The anxiety led her to seek professional help, attending therapy to cope with the constant pressure, with the phrase "there are thousands waiting for a job behind you" echoing in her mind.

However, she made the best decision and resigned, realizing that the situation was impacting her mental health. Everything happens for a reason, and now she works for a multinational company from Poland, earning a salary that reflects her skills and, most importantly, feeling valued and happy in her new environment.

Finding out the world is a cold and miserable place and all your dreams won't come true happens to many billions of people all around the world. Your first job after university is a good time for it. Suddenly you are stacking boxes in a warehouse while a gps tracker ensures you aren't pausing too long between boxes and you think ... wait ... is this what life is ?

You’re absolutely right. A friend’s daughter went through a very similar situation. She always felt pressured, and despite giving her best every day, she didn’t receive the recognition she deserved. The fear of asking for a raise paralyzed her, which is something many young people face in today’s job market.

One day, she decided to muster the courage to discuss her situation with her boss and requested a raise. Unfortunately, not only was her request denied, but it also affected her even more, especially in the context of a crisis. The anxiety led her to seek professional help, attending therapy to cope with the constant pressure, with the phrase "there are thousands waiting for a job behind you" echoing in her mind.

However, she made the best decision and resigned, realizing that the situation was impacting her mental health. Everything happens for a reason, and now she works for a multinational company from Poland, earning a salary that reflects her skills and, most importantly, feeling valued and happy in her new environment.
There are a lot of Argentines here in Spain. I was surprised but many have left the country as they couldn't find jobs there or the jobs paid very little. The recession sounds very bad there. Friends living in BA told me that most of their friends want to move to Spain or other countries in the EU where they might have a passport.

Finding out the world is a cold and miserable place and all your dreams won't come true happens to many billions of people all around the world. Your first job after university is a good time for it. Suddenly you are stacking boxes in a warehouse while a gps tracker ensures you aren't pausing too long between boxes and you think ... wait ... is this what life is ?
Very true. Even in countries where there isn't a recession many don't find their dream jobs when they are young. Hell some even when they are older.

There are a lot of Argentines here in Spain. I was surprised but many have left the country as they couldn't find jobs there or the jobs paid very little. The recession sounds very bad there. Friends living in BA told me that most of their friends want to move to Spain or other countries in the EU where they might have a passport.
That is where we are. Malaga is full of people that fled Argentina. Half my girlfriend's friends are all in Spain with more planning on moving for better opportunities. Things in Argentina will be tough for a while.

Exactly. Sometimes life can suck. Several of my friends in Argentina can't find a job right now.

Back