Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

TerryBill

I'd like to share my experience in the rental business here in Buenos Aires, as there seems to be a negative bias against landlords, especially regarding deposits and garantias.

I purchased a lovely penthouse in Palermo about eight years ago, with a spectacular terrace, intending to rent it out to expats or corporate executives. After careful consideration, I found a suitable tenant, a mid-aged American woman whom I'll refer to as Jennifer. She seemed perfect for the arrangement, owning several properties in the US and managing rentals herself.

To accommodate her, I agreed to allow subletting during the times she wouldn't be living here. The initial rental agreement went smoothly – one year with an option for another, no rent increase, and only a one-month deposit. Jennifer stayed for two years, handling various day-to-day issues without major problems.

However, when it came time to extend the lease for another year without a rent increase, things took a turn for the worse. She refused to pay rent, citing dissatisfaction with the living conditions. What followed were 12 months of legal battles, substantial costs for lawyers, loss of rental income, and other challenges. Despite her financial stability, Jennifer resisted fulfilling her contractual obligations.

Ultimately, after a year of struggles, I had to involve lawyers and a notary to formally terminate the rental contract, one step before the eviction process. It's worth noting that Jennifer had sublet the apartment during this time, profiting in dollars while causing significant issues for me.

Now, my rental contracts are meticulously crafted by top lawyers, with eviction papers pre-signed by a notary. This experience has provided me with a different perspective on the challenges landlords face in Buenos Aires and the precautions they take to safeguard their investments.

I'd like to share my experience in the rental business here in Buenos Aires, as there seems to be a negative bias against landlords, especially regarding deposits and garantias.

I purchased a lovely penthouse in Palermo about eight years ago, with a spectacular terrace, intending to rent it out to expats or corporate executives. After careful consideration, I found a suitable tenant, a mid-aged American woman whom I'll refer to as Jennifer. She seemed perfect for the arrangement, owning several properties in the US and managing rentals herself.

To accommodate her, I agreed to allow subletting during the times she wouldn't be living here. The initial rental agreement went smoothly – one year with an option for another, no rent increase, and only a one-month deposit. Jennifer stayed for two years, handling various day-to-day issues without major problems.

However, when it came time to extend the lease for another year without a rent increase, things took a turn for the worse. She refused to pay rent, citing dissatisfaction with the living conditions. What followed were 12 months of legal battles, substantial costs for lawyers, loss of rental income, and other challenges. Despite her financial stability, Jennifer resisted fulfilling her contractual obligations.

Ultimately, after a year of struggles, I had to involve lawyers and a notary to formally terminate the rental contract, one step before the eviction process. It's worth noting that Jennifer had sublet the apartment during this time, profiting in dollars while causing significant issues for me.

Now, my rental contracts are meticulously crafted by top lawyers, with eviction papers pre-signed by a notary. This experience has provided me with a different perspective on the challenges landlords face in Buenos Aires and the precautions they take to safeguard their investments.
Sorry to hear. I must warn you that the pre signed eviction means jack s**t. She can get " sick " etc and you will end up screwed up anyways. You should have payed a couple thugs to go into the apt, dump her stuff outside and change the locks. That is the way to go.

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you. It sounds like a pain in the a$$ dealing with this unethical woman. Just out of curiosity, why not just totally out this thief? I assume this woman's name is Jennifer (per your post) but why not just post her details with first and last name so everyone avoids her. With the power of Google, she would probably not only never get another chance to screw someone over but if she did something like this to me, I'd not only post her details but I'd post details of HER rentals as well.

I would post details of HER on every scam website out there and post links to all her rental properties. With the power of the Internet, people really need to spread the word and warn against people like this.

It doesn't sound like there is anything she could do either.

Thanks for all your reflections!!!!!

To elaborate a little on the rental issues:
Most expats, foreign landlords, have USD or Euro obligations themself......just like me, I have an European mortgage to pay.
Therefore I have had USD only rental contracts.
Anybody can decide whether to sign or not to sign....so, there is for me no excuse for breaking a contract that specifies it that clearly!
All users on this board knows that a dollar is not 5 peso but 8, basta!!!
If a tenant really has that difficult getting USD, I am more than sure that many landlords would accept pesos, (At the rate they can change the peso to a dollar at, which means 8 at the moment). I would have had not problem accepting pesos, if I would be able to buy my dollars/euros myself. Taking advantage of CFK sick measurements and justifying it to your own favor is just to cheap!!!!
Dont sign a USD rental contract if you dont have/can get dollars!!!!! I cannot buy a Hummer if I dont have money for petrol, or????

A little tip to other landlords in same boat: A lawyer told me to have in the contract USD or pesos at the official New York rate, (Close to blue). That would tricker international law over national law. That means that the right to pay in peso would be intact, but without screwing the landlord. (I am not a lawyer , so please dont hang me up on all this....consult with your own lawyers).

Back