Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

GracielaLel

Click anywhere on the article in Spanish to open the menu. Next click on Translate to English.
31 August 2023
Electricity, cell phones, subway and domestic service: all the increases that arrive in September.
On the side of regulated prices, in September the sixth installment of the increases in telephone, internet and pay TV services that the sector had agreed with the Government will be applied. It has been in force since May and includes a staggered increase of 4.5% per month until the end of this year.

There will also be progress in an adjustment in electricity service rates. This increase, which had been anticipated in the IMF staff report, will be applied to high and medium income households (for their consumption above 400 Kwh per month), businesses and industries. This is derived from the 11% increase that will be paid to electricity generators, to offset the increase in their costs due to the devaluation.
Although there was still no official confirmation, it is estimated that the impact on invoices will be around 5.6%....

But let's be honest. The prices MUST go up. They are too low. I agree with subsidies in some cases but the vast majority need to be eliminated. Electricity, water, gas prices are crazy cheap there. Look at the prices in most Latin American countries and they are very high.

I own properties in Mexico, Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina, Colombia and it's expensive in other countries. Granted, I don't think it should be like Mexico where it's as expensive there vs. USA but not like it is now. If Argentines want a better Argentina they are going to have to pay for it too.

But let's be honest. The prices MUST go up. They are too low. I agree with subsidies in some cases but the vast majority need to be eliminated. Electricity, water, gas prices are crazy cheap there. Look at the prices in most Latin American countries and they are very high.

I own properties in Mexico, Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina, Colombia and it's expensive in other countries. Granted, I don't think it should be like Mexico where it's as expensive there vs. USA but not like it is now. If Argentines want a better Argentina they are going to have to pay for it too.
For the man who can say, "I own properties in Mexico, Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina, Colombia" it is easy to say that others must pay more. But for those of us on the lower rungs of the old socio-economic ladder, it's not so easy to pay those higher prices the propertied man is advocating.

For the man who can say, "I own properties in Mexico, Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina, Colombia" it is easy to say that others must pay more. But for those of us on the lower rungs of the old socio-economic ladder, it's not so easy to pay those higher prices the propertied man is advocating.

Yes, of course you make good points but even my local friends that are struggling agree that it's dirt cheap. I wasn't always this way. I started out low and everything I have is from working hard. I always appreciated that you have to have some fair system.

All I'm saying is you have to have a fair charge and it has to be realistic. Argentina has to change things and it will be painful but it must be done. I'm only advocating that things must change. Are you advocating that Argentina should never raise any rates and keep subsidizing everyone until the end of time?

I also have family members in Argentina (Buenos Aires) that are struggling and I tell them the same thing and they also acknowledge that it's not realistic to continue on this path.

The government will raise electricity and gas rates across the country again in September, so get ready to brace your wallets. I’m not looking forward to any surprises, let’s see what they throw at us.

The government will raise electricity and gas rates across the country again in September, so get ready to brace your wallets. I’m not looking forward to any surprises, let’s see what they throw at us.

This is why when they say inflation is only 4% per month it is not accurate. The true costs are much higher.

People just need to learn to turn down their usage. So many locals were used to dirt cheap prices and just leave all their lights on and keep the heat blasting or AC all day long in the summer even if they aren't home. I saw some posts on X and the amount of kwh people are using is insane!

Here are the upcoming price increases for September:

• Water Service: 4.48%
  • Electricity: 4%
  • Gas: 4%
  • Rent: 243.16%
  • Public Transportation: For bus lines that don't maintain subsidies, the increase will be added to the fare. Passengers needing to take two rides to and from their destination will see a 25% increase, while those taking three rides will face a 40% increase.
  • Fuel: 4%
  • Health Insurance: Between 4.5% and 5.8%
  • Private Schools: 4.5%

• Public Transportation: For bus lines that don't maintain subsidies, the increase will be added to the fare. Passengers needing to take two rides to and from their destination will see a 25% increase, while those taking three rides will face a 40% increase.

Have rental prices really jumped up 243%? Is that year over year?

Have rental prices really jumped up 243%? Is that year over year?
It’s the cumulative increase applied every 12 months to update the rent amount. So, if a family signed a lease a year ago and was paying $100,000 per month, when the contract is updated in September, the rent would increase by 243.16%, resulting in a new monthly rent of $343,160.

It’s the cumulative increase applied every 12 months to update the rent amount. So, if a family signed a lease a year ago and was paying $100,000 per month, when the contract is updated in September, the rent would increase by 243.16%, resulting in a new monthly rent of $343,160.
Yes, since they got rid of those insane long term rental rates that wouldn't allow owners to raise rents. Fortunately for expats you can lock in USD rentals for a year at a time. I just hope the blue dollar goes up soon.

Finally, the federal government and the City of Buenos Aires have reached an agreement, and the subsidy cuts won’t affect passengers. This is great news for those who commute every day. So, for now, there won’t be any increase in transportation fares.

Finally, the federal government and the City of Buenos Aires have reached an agreement, and the subsidy cuts won’t affect passengers. This is great news for those who commute every day. So, for now, there won’t be any increase in transportation fares.

Great news! I think this is very smart.

This will only be temporary. Prices will have to come up but the government is wise waiting as there are too many things going up at once (healthcare, gas, water, monthly expenses, electricity, water, phone, cable/internet).

This will only be temporary. Prices will have to come up but the government is wise waiting as there are too many things going up at once (healthcare, gas, water, monthly expenses, electricity, water, phone, cable/internet).
I think Legend is only discussing the subsidies. Until now, it was unclear who would bear the cost, but we now know that CABA will cover it. Fortunately, this means that people will not experience a fare increase due to the removal of subsidies.

Today, tolls are also increasing by 5%.

I think Legend is only discussing the subsidies. Until now, it was unclear who would bear the cost, but we now know that CABA will cover it. Fortunately, this means that people will not experience a fare increase due to the removal of subsidies.
Confirmed, there will be no increase in bus fares for now. This means that CABA will cover the subsidy without passing the cost onto daily commuters. For now, the prices will remain the same.

Here’s a list of appliances and devices that we should unplug when they’re off because they continue to consume energy. With bills being so high these days, it’s better to keep an eye on expenses.

Video Game Console
Vampire consumption: up to 23.3 Wh in standby mode and around 1 Wh when off but plugged in.

Audio Equipment
Vampire consumption: between 7 and 14 Wh when off but plugged in.

CRT TV
Vampire consumption: up to 3 Wh when off but plugged in.

LED TV
Vampire consumption: up to 1.5 Wh when off but plugged in.

Generic Phone Charger
Vampire consumption: between 0.1 and 0.5 Wh when the charger is plugged in without the phone.

Microwave Oven
Vampire consumption: up to 4 Wh when inactive but plugged in, and up to 25 Wh if the microwave door is left open.

Electric Oven
Vampire consumption: up to 3 Wh when inactive but plugged in.

Back