Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Here’s a list of appliances and devices that we should unplug when they’re off because they continue to consume energy. With bills being so high these days, it’s better to keep an eye on expenses.

Video Game Console
Vampire consumption: up to 23.3 Wh in standby mode and around 1 Wh when off but plugged in.

Audio Equipment
Vampire consumption: between 7 and 14 Wh when off but plugged in.

CRT TV
Vampire consumption: up to 3 Wh when off but plugged in.

LED TV
Vampire consumption: up to 1.5 Wh when off but plugged in.

Generic Phone Charger
Vampire consumption: between 0.1 and 0.5 Wh when the charger is plugged in without the phone.

Microwave Oven
Vampire consumption: up to 4 Wh when inactive but plugged in, and up to 25 Wh if the microwave door is left open.

Electric Oven
Vampire consumption: up to 3 Wh when inactive but plugged in.

I think people are very surprised now after having very low heavily subsidized electricity bills for a long time. I read that just the fridge/freezer alone it consumes about 25 kwh per month. This winter my usage is up quite a bit and first time I got a 200,000+ peso bill. Over $150 dollar bill just with normal heating. Many friends are complaining about the bills now which is a shock for them.

I think people are very surprised now after having very low heavily subsidized electricity bills for a long time. I read that just the fridge/freezer alone it consumes about 25 kwh per month. This winter my usage is up quite a bit and first time I got a 200,000+ peso bill. Over $150 dollar bill just with normal heating. Many friends are complaining about the bills now which is a shock for them.
Costs have been going up all over. It just sounds like things down there have been subsidized for a long time. So a big time increase is causing everyone to worry but all in all people seem to be taking it in stride.

Back