Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer American moving to argentina

bradly1

As I'm about to graduate from college, I'm contemplating a move to Argentina. I'm intrigued by the initiatives of their new president and foresee significant economic potential in the years ahead. While this can be a contentious topic, I'm not here to debate it. Moreover, property prices in Argentina are notably lower, offering the possibility of owning a comfortable home with some land, a dream that feels nearly out of reach in the current U.S. market. I've managed to save up some money, but I'm uncertain about how much I realistically need. Would it be advisable to pursue a remote job from the U.S. while residing in Argentina? Or should I explore job opportunities in Argentina through international platforms? I've heard there's a growing demand for professionals in the tech industry, particularly in cybersecurity, which aligns well with my degree. Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated.

As I'm about to graduate from college, I'm contemplating a move to Argentina. I'm intrigued by the initiatives of their new president and foresee significant economic potential in the years ahead. While this can be a contentious topic, I'm not here to debate it. Moreover, property prices in Argentina are notably lower, offering the possibility of owning a comfortable home with some land, a dream that feels nearly out of reach in the current U.S. market. I've managed to save up some money, but I'm uncertain about how much I realistically need. Would it be advisable to pursue a remote job from the U.S. while residing in Argentina? Or should I explore job opportunities in Argentina through international platforms? I've heard there's a growing demand for professionals in the tech industry, particularly in cybersecurity, which aligns well with my degree. Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Congrats @bradly1 on college. What do you plan to do here for income? I was thinking about moving down as I fell in love with the city but my mom talked me out of it and I am very glad she did! It is brutally tough to make money there. Do you have a job you can work online? Or will your parents support you??? I tried to work down there and salaries pay next to nothing.

If you're asking about remote jobs it sounds like you don't have a job. No real job prospects there. There are experienced lawyers there making less than $1,500 USD per month. Do you speak Spanish? I'm fluent in Spanish and even considering, they pay almost nothing there.

You should figure out before you decide to do something like this what you will do for income. Probably a better idea to have a remote job first before you come down.

Have you been here before? What makes you want to move down here? The economy is very unstable. The new President seems good but inflation is high and security might get worse if things don't improve soon.

My mom talked me out of moving down there and I am glad I listened now as the cost of living down there in a few short months has gone up. I have a six figure job here in the USA and I will work several years, save up and then move down there. I would have more of a game plan before you think about this. I wanted to do the same as you and didn't have a game plan.

I am not sure how much you have saved up. Other rural areas are much cheaper than Buenos Aires. While BA is cheaper than many cities in the USA, it is all cash here. Your $ goes further in smaller cities. With no job and just coming out of college I don't think it is a good idea to come to Argentina. Get some experience in the USA first. I doubt anyone is going to hire you in cybersecurity with no experience and just coming out of college.

Argentina was a lot cheaper last year. Now, not so much.

Congrats @bradly1 on college. What do you plan to do here for income? I was thinking about moving down as I fell in love with the city but my mom talked me out of it and I am very glad she did! It is brutally tough to make money there. Do you have a job you can work online? Or will your parents support you??? I tried to work down there and salaries pay next to nothing.

If you're asking about remote jobs it sounds like you don't have a job. No real job prospects there. There are experienced lawyers there making less than $1,500 USD per month. Do you speak Spanish? I'm fluent in Spanish and even considering, they pay almost nothing there.

You should figure out before you decide to do something like this what you will do for income. Probably a better idea to have a remote job first before you come down.

Have you been here before? What makes you want to move down here? The economy is very unstable. The new President seems good but inflation is high and security might get worse if things don't improve soon.

My mom talked me out of moving down there and I am glad I listened now as the cost of living down there in a few short months has gone up. I have a six figure job here in the USA and I will work several years, save up and then move down there. I would have more of a game plan before you think about this. I wanted to do the same as you and didn't have a game plan.
Listen to RNinBA. Land is cheap here in rural areas but not sure how much you have saved up. I admit prices in the US have spiraled out of control but there you can finance over 30 years. Not such here as it's all cash. Unless you have parents that are going to finance your lifestyle, not sure coming here is a smart idea. There will be a lot of expats leaving Argentina soon as they moved here when it was cheaper and prices are going up now.

If you can work a remote job and make a US income than sure you can save money here but probably wise to have a job lined up first. A ton of kids graduating from college this year are going to have an issue finding a job. A.I. is going to displace a lot of jobs. My brother's kids graduated last year (twins) and neither of them has solid job. They have worked some jobs off and on but nothing solid and they moved back in.

As others said, jobs here don't pay sh*t.

This seems reckless. No job and wanting to live in Argentina? I'm convinced that people are just reading blogs or watching YouTube and have this romanticized vision of what living in Argentina is like. I watch some Tik Toks and see some Twitter posts and people make it sound like living here is easy and super cheap. Sure it is less than back home but back home there are plenty of opportunities to make money. Here it is few and far between. All my local friends are making peanuts relative to their work experience and job skills.

What "international platforms" are you talking about? Unless you have tons of bitcoin wealth or something like that I would think twice about moving here without a job.

I actually am thinking of doing this. I am going down end of this month to check it out but my friend is already there living in BA the past several months. She works a remote job but she had it for several years. I also have a job that I have been at a few years with great salary but I can work remote. I would say have a job lined up first. Lots of her friends are highly skilled and make almost nothing there.

Have some game plan that consist of how much you will spend, how you will make money and how much you will make. How moving to Argentina right out of college with no work experience will affect your future career. I personally think it's a very bad idea for a new college graduate to not work in a normal work environment in the office for their first job of of college.

Smart ones are moving out of Argentina NOT moving in. Prices are heading up even more.

Back