Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Another robbery in Palermo

jamess

A homeless man was arrested by the City Police last Saturday for attempting to rob a health food store. This man reportedly has multiple prior arrests in Buenos Aires. Crimes like this are becoming increasingly common in Palermo. In this case, the store employee narrowly avoided a serious injury as the thief threw a knife at her face.

I didn't have any problems in Palermo but beware on Florida Street. I just posted this in another post.

Avoid Florida street cuevas! I just left BA but a buddy of mine just got robbed leaving a cueva on Florida street. He exchanged $300 dollars and about a block away from there someone stole his iPhone and also took the pesos he exchanged. Avoid avoid. I didn't have any problems using places in Recoleta or Palermo.

I do think many of the homeless are going off the deep end a bit or at least have mental issues. I have been seeing more of this kind of thing.

I didn't have any problems in Palermo but beware on Florida Street. I just posted this in another post.

Avoid Florida street cuevas! I just left BA but a buddy of mine just got robbed leaving a cueva on Florida street. He exchanged $300 dollars and about a block away from there someone stole his iPhone and also took the pesos he exchanged. Avoid avoid. I didn't have any problems using places in Recoleta or Palermo.
I would NEVER exchange down on Calle Florida. Just too many shady people seem like they are around. I was down there one time and exchanged a bit but after leaving just seems like people are following you. I just jumped into a taxi. Bummer about his iPhone. They are very expensive here.

Crime is going up all over the city. People are becoming more desperate. I am also hearing about some friends of friends that are followed and robbed leaving cuevas so be careful. Better to get in a taxi and leave the area so no one can follow you. Or order rideshare to pick you up right when you are leaving. I don't like exchanging money on Florida.

I do think many of the homeless are going off the deep end a bit or at least have mental issues. I have been seeing more of this kind of thing.

I would NEVER exchange down on Calle Florida. Just too many shady people seem like they are around. I was down there one time and exchanged a bit but after leaving just seems like people are following you. I just jumped into a taxi. Bummer about his iPhone. They are very expensive here.
Why do people come all the way down here? As far as I know all the cuevas have almost the same exchange rate and most people don't stay in this part of town. I can't imagine people are coming all the way down to Calle Florida to exchange money are they?

Back