Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Any other better Map or apps other than Google Maps for directions?

Vince

I've heard and completely agree based on my experiences the Google Maps App on the iPhone tends to be buggy in Argentina (at most, it 'might' work occasionally); it's definitely unreliable, giving directions like Turn right when it should be left, claiming "the spot you are standing at does not exist, or insisting you can't get there from here. I've encountered all of these issues while using it.

Which direction or maps app is recommended for use in Argentina or at least Buenos Aires?

I'd really appreciate any help or guidance.

I have had mostly good luck with Google Maps but I pre-downloaded the entire Buenos Aires offline map which I find helps improve things and also helps with battery drain on my iPhone.

I also utilize maps.me. It operates offline, eliminating the need for a data connection. My primary issue with Google Maps isn't necessarily the suboptimal routing. It seems like Google Maps does too many routes with too many turns, and the biggest issue as mentioned is the significant drain on my iPhone battery at a rate of 1% per minute when I don't pre download the map. I'm uncertain about its activities, but given it's Google, there's a suspicion of unauthorized information uploads. I've vowed multiple times to switch to Apple Maps; at some point, Google's actions might push me to make that switch.

Strange. I've never had any negative issues with Google Maps in Buenos Aires at all. As suggested, I pre download all the maps I use when traveling. I"m usually on the road about 100 days each year. And besides a few countries where Google Maps doesn't work well (South Korea), Google Maps is my Go to Maps app. In many cities in Europe I prefer City Mapper which is awesome with public transport but they aren't in Buenos Aires.

What is people's experience if any with Apple Maps in Buenos Aires? I never used it as Google Maps works so well for me. But many of my clients swear by Maps.me for the offline maps feature as well. I'm always puzzled when I hear that people have issues with Google Maps. Fortunately for me it's always reliable.

This is a good website for bus routes and subway directions. https://mapa.buenosaires.gob.ar/comollego/?lat=-34.620000&lng=-58.440000&zl=12&modo=transporte

I agree about pre downloading Google Maps so you don't need to download the maps. Just click on a city and then scroll to the right all the way and next to the "share" button you will see "Download Offline Map" and do it when you have wifi and it will save your battery life on your phone.
I too mostly use Google Maps without issues. However, sometimes addresses are wrong. And sometimes bus stops were moved or don't exist. The Como Lego is best for public transportation options. Google Maps works ok for subte but I don't trust it for bus routes.

I find that Google Maps is spot on target about 95% of the time. Of course the big problem is that the 5% of the time when it doesn't work you might not know where you are. I always check the route ahead of time to see if it's correct. But it's always a good idea to check first to make sure that the business still exists. A few times (I never learn my lesson) I trust Google with saying the shop or restaurant is open and it was closed when I got there. Always call ahead and make sure or check to see if they have a website to double check.

Google Maps depends on businesses to keep their information updated real time. This happens in first world countries but in Argentina they mostly don't care. In the USA, businesses are dependable and keep it up to date or report when they go out of business. Not the case in Buenos Aires always.

I just got the moovit app. It’s been great. May take a little time to get the hang of the interface, but I really like it for public transportation. I got the paid version to eliminate the ads which were kind of invasive. But as far as charting the course from A to B it’s great. It also shows you how many stops you have until you need to get off and sends reminders to your phone like “Get off in two stops” which helps if you have 32 stops in the trip.

I just got the moovit app. It’s been great. May take a little time to get the hang of the interface, but I really like it for public transportation. I got the paid version to eliminate the ads which were kind of invasive. But as far as charting the course from A to B it’s great. It also shows you how many stops you have until you need to get off and sends reminders to your phone like “Get off in two stops” which helps if you have 32 stops in the trip.
I also use the MoovIt app and it works great whenever I travel around the world. I also have the paid version as the advertisements were too crazy.

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tranzmate&hl=en_US&gl=US&pli=1

Apple: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/moovit-all-transit-options/id498477945

Thank you everyone! This is all fantastic information! So many wonderful Apps and links. Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is the best website I could dream about for Buenos Aires. You all are a great community!

I will try the MoovIt app and I will also pre download Google Maps offline. I didn't know you could do that. I'm glad to hear others are having the battery issue. I thought that was just my phone!

Back