Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Any recommendations for weekend getaways near the city?

My girlfriend and I went to San Antonio de Areco which was a nice getaway. Definitely a great place to learn about the gaucho culture. It's a 2 hour drive. My girlfriend drove but I heard you can also take a bus from Retiro station if you don't have a car. Or they do private transfers as well there. You can do it as a day trip but we spent the night so we had 2 full days.

You can go to a nice estancia and go horseback riding. We went to a few museums in the area too (Museo Las Lilas de Areco, Museo de Arte La Recova, Museo Gauchesco and Parque Criollo Ricardo Guiraldes.

We followed this itinerary here and it was great!

With a long weekend coming up in BA, we're looking to explore a nearby place, town, or city that's interesting. I'm sure many of you have already ventured out and have some great suggestions. Looking forward to hearing your recommendations!
It's not that nearby but if you have a long weekend you can go to Iguazu Falls. It was an easy trip and I highly recommend it! I'm not sure how many days you have but with 2 nights you can do it. It was one of the most incredible places I have seen!

My girlfriend and I went to San Antonio de Areco which was a nice getaway. Definitely a great place to learn about the gaucho culture. It's a 2 hour drive. My girlfriend drove but I heard you can also take a bus from Retiro station if you don't have a car. Or they do private transfers as well there. You can do it as a day trip but we spent the night so we had 2 full days.

You can go to a nice estancia and go horseback riding. We went to a few museums in the area too (Museo Las Lilas de Areco, Museo de Arte La Recova, Museo Gauchesco and Parque Criollo Ricardo Guiraldes.

We followed this itinerary here and it was great!

Great suggestion. San Antonio de Areco is awesome. I always recommend that for family and friends that come in town and want an authentic experience. All have loved it.

Much depends what activities you like. Pinamar is also beautiful but most like visiting during high season when it's warmer but we enjoy going there any time of year. Very peaceful in the off season. About 4.5 hour drive.

Lobos is also an option about 100 km from the city. There is a nice nature reserve there and some hiking trails if you enjoy that. There is an old castle there that is over 100 years old called Estancia La Candelaria. Fun.

Taking the Buquebus ferry over to Montevideo is fun. Very easy trip and Montevideo is a nice city. Safe and friendly people. Some people like hitting another country while they are here in Buenos Aires so it's an easy trip where you can stay for a night or 2. Not a big city but enjoyable to me.

Good suggestions. Another is Carlos Keen which is a smaller rural town about 2 hours from the city. There are only a few hundred people but it's a quiet getaway.

Lobos is a good option as Vince suggested. Check out the Church of Our Lady of Carmen and the Municipal Palace there.

Tandil is also popular. Lots of adventure sports and nature there. Also some wineries there and some good restaurants.

A while back, my girlfriend and I went to Chascomús and rented a beautiful cabin near the lagoon. Honestly, we're thinking of going back because everything was just wonderful, the landscape, the town, the nightlife, and the incredible sense of peace. The people there were also incredibly friendly. The best part is it's only about 1.5 hours from the city.
Here's a link to the town's Instagram so you can check out the amazing scenery I'm talking about:

A while back, my girlfriend and I went to Chascomús and rented a beautiful cabin near the lagoon. Honestly, we're thinking of going back because everything was just wonderful, the landscape, the town, the nightlife, and the incredible sense of peace. The people there were also incredibly friendly. The best part is it's only about 1.5 hours from the city.
Here's a link to the town's Instagram so you can check out the amazing scenery I'm talking about:

That sounds amazing @jackL. Where did you find the Cabin? Was it Airbnb?

I'm thinking along the same lines, planning to escape next long weekend to unwind from the city. I've been researching and looking for nice places to visit within a two-hour drive from here. Here's a link with some options I've found:

These are all great ideas. I agree about Montevideo or even Punta del Este, Uruguay. I owned a house in Punta del Este for many years and even during the off-season I enjoyed getting away there for the peace and quiet. Buenos Aires is a really noisy city and all of Uruguay is very peaceful and Punta del Este was beautiful by the beach. It is totally dead during the off season and I enjoyed that quite a bit.

I flew to Mendoza recently and loved it! Great great great wines there. I stayed at the Park Hyatt Mendoza and was top notch. Great restaurants there too. Definitely underrated place and I'm surprised more people don't talk about it.
Mendoza is splendid. The Park Hyatt hotel is one of my favorites there. Great hotel and has great service.

These are all great ideas. I agree about Montevideo or even Punta del Este, Uruguay. I owned a house in Punta del Este for many years and even during the off-season I enjoyed getting away there for the peace and quiet. Buenos Aires is a really noisy city and all of Uruguay is very peaceful and Punta del Este was beautiful by the beach. It is totally dead during the off season and I enjoyed that quite a bit.
Love Punta del Este during the off season as well. VERY quiet then. Where was your house @earlyretirement?

Back