Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Anyone else find the bread here awful

MickMolloy

So dry and hard like eating rocks

Even expensive bread from "nice" places, it makes it impossible to have any kind a nice sandwhich. Seriously I thought making some decent bread was something humans mastered about 2000 years ago

disagree; there are some hard baguettes at Italian places, but just go to a Carrefour Market or Jumbo supermercado and get a loaf of sliced bread - Multi-Semillas

100% just like any other factory-made multigrain bread in the USA

for others, go to the Panaderia section of the supermarket (or Hypermarket in Palermo Chico) and get a baguette loaf or whatever. i got some small rolls to make submarine sandwiches, and it was good.

humans did a lot of things that communism destroyed the past 70 years (see Venezuela and Cuba as well), but there's bread here, dude! let me know if you need help in-person (i'm near Las Heras park)

disagree; there are some hard baguettes at Italian places, but just go to a Carrefour Market or Jumbo supermercado and get a loaf of sliced bread - Multi-Semillas

100% just like any other factory-made multigrain bread in the USA

for others, go to the Panaderia section of the supermarket (or Hypermarket in Palermo Chico) and get a baguette loaf or whatever. i got some small rolls to make submarine sandwiches, and it was good.

humans did a lot of things that communism destroyed the past 70 years (see Venezuela and Cuba as well), but there's bread here, dude! let me know if you need help in-person (i'm near Las Heras park)

OK thanks but where in the microcentro can I buy a fully formed sandwhich with nice soft bread? I'm not interested in going to the supermarket and waiting in line 20 minutes then having to get the ingredients and make my own sandwich

So dry and hard like eating rocks

Even expensive bread from "nice" places, it makes it impossible to have any kind a nice sandwhich. Seriously I thought making some decent bread was something humans mastered about 2000 years ago
I think the problem with bad economy, the restaurants don't throw away old bread. But many restaurants have good bread.

but where in the microcentro can I buy a fully formed sandwhich with nice soft bread?
i don't buy pre-made ones because they're so expensive and i can make one wayyyyy better with some simple ingredients in my fridge. but i always wanted to go to Cafe Tortoni because of its history: https://maps.app.goo.gl/g4QZRS5v6fQstpkNA

just buy some good bread at Jumbo/Carrefour Market. buy some salami, ham, egg if you want a fried egg like me, tomato, lettuce, avocado, hand-ground old-style mustard, and mayo (preferably olive-oil-based and not canola/seed oils). you will have an amazing sandwich for 30% of the cost. it doesn't take that long. go shopping once a week for all of that, and make awesome sandwiches! i'm in Palermo Chico or i would make one for ya.

the supermarkets don't take 20 mins if you go to the 15-items-or-less line, or the self-checkout autoservicio, not sure why you're making this such a big deal. Google Maps can give you sandwich recommendations if you refuse to make one. Bonnie&Clyde has good burgers, and ArminBar has a good flatbread pizza near you.

i don't buy pre-made ones because they're so expensive and i can make one wayyyyy better with some simple ingredients in my fridge. but i always wanted to go to Cafe Tortoni because of its history: https://maps.app.goo.gl/g4QZRS5v6fQstpkNA

just buy some good bread at Jumbo/Carrefour Market. buy some salami, ham, egg if you want a fried egg like me, tomato, lettuce, avocado, hand-ground old-style mustard, and mayo (preferably olive-oil-based and not canola/seed oils). you will have an amazing sandwich for 30% of the cost. it doesn't take that long. go shopping once a week for all of that, and make awesome sandwiches! i'm in Palermo Chico or i would make one for ya.

the supermarkets don't take 20 mins if you go to the 15-items-or-less line, or the self-checkout autoservicio, not sure why you're making this such a big deal. Google Maps can give you sandwich recommendations if you refuse to make one. Bonnie&Clyde has good burgers, and ArminBar has a good flatbread pizza near you.
I agree best is to make at home. These days the restaurants are expensive. But I buy brand that isn't hard. I go early in the morning to buy. I agree with Avocado that many places are using leftover bread.

I loved the bread here. Nothing like Paris but we got delicious bread in the bakery.

We went to Picaron our last night and the make fresh homemade bread. Was delicious!

@MickMolloy i did some bread research for ya. attached photos x2!

Jumbo has a case of pre-made jamon y queso sandwiches, if you like the Buenos Aires style of white bread, single piece of ham, single piece of cheese, little bit of mayo. i prefer more exotic ingredients, but this box could tide you over when you're in need of munchies

and then they also had loaves of "German Bread" for 4600 Pesos, or $4.50 USD with your credit card. this was dense, dark bread; my favorite! i think Estonia makes the best black bread (called leib). but this looked great, and next time i need bread i'll try the extra expense and see how it is. but my chica made some bomb sandwiches the other day:

1. multigrain bread slices x2 (toasted or not, up to you)
2. smoked Mayo (haven't been able to find olive-oil-based mayo yet, unfortunately).
3. raw/hand-ground old-world mustard (very strong, bitter, vinegar flavor, with the little balls of mustard seed).
4. ham slice x2.
5. smoked pork loin slice x2 (from the deli).
6. salami slice x2.
7. avocado/palta.
8. slide of tomato.
9. lettuce or spinach.
10. fried egg.
11. slice of "cheddar" cheese x1 (this is the weak link of BsAs; the lack of good dairy. but it will do. just don't buy the "Muzzarella" bags of plastic cheese).

rockstar sandwich (cold cut, but you could do the meat heated-up if you want).

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    567.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.png
    3.png
    681.7 KB · Views: 1
Must admit I'm not the greatest fan of the loose baguette type of bread you buy fresh from the bakers. It can be soft and fluffy or have a crust on it which you'd need jaws and gnashers like those of a British Bulldog to bite through it.
If buying bread from a bakers I will only buy figazza rolls. If I want a loaf of bread to make sandwiches I'll go to a supermarket and get a sliced loaf.

@MickMolloy i did some bread research for ya. attached photos x2!

Jumbo has a case of pre-made jamon y queso sandwiches, if you like the Buenos Aires style of white bread, single piece of ham, single piece of cheese, little bit of mayo. i prefer more exotic ingredients, but this box could tide you over when you're in need of munchies

and then they also had loaves of "German Bread" for 4600 Pesos, or $4.50 USD with your credit card. this was dense, dark bread; my favorite! i think Estonia makes the best black bread (called leib). but this looked great, and next time i need bread i'll try the extra expense and see how it is. but my chica made some bomb sandwiches the other day:

1. multigrain bread slices x2 (toasted or not, up to you)
2. smoked Mayo (haven't been able to find olive-oil-based mayo yet, unfortunately).
3. raw/hand-ground old-world mustard (very strong, bitter, vinegar flavor, with the little balls of mustard seed).
4. ham slice x2.
5. smoked pork loin slice x2 (from the deli).
6. salami slice x2.
7. avocado/palta.
8. slide of tomato.
9. lettuce or spinach.
10. fried egg.
11. slice of "cheddar" cheese x1 (this is the weak link of BsAs; the lack of good dairy. but it will do. just don't buy the "Muzzarella" bags of plastic cheese).

rockstar sandwich (cold cut, but you could do the meat heated-up if you want).
Thank you!

Back