Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Apartment buying process confusing in Buenos Aires. Do I need to use the seller's realtor?

My Spanish teacher told me the same thing about her place switching to electric from gas as well due to similar issues.
Same with a friend of mine. The gas lines needed to get updated and the gas company took 8 months to fix it so she had to retrofit the apartment for electricity. Previously electricity was very cheap but now the prices are going up and she is spending a lot in electricity bills! Another friend had a gas smell coming from the basement and it was crazy all the owners told everyone not to report it or they would need to shut off until who knows when. I was shocked because if they can smell gas it's dangerous. But they wanted to call in a private company to fix it and not alert Metrogas. So a private person fixed it instead of the gas company which just shuts off the gas and gets around to it months later when they can.

Same with a friend of mine. The gas lines needed to get updated and the gas company took 8 months to fix it so she had to retrofit the apartment for electricity. Previously electricity was very cheap but now the prices are going up and she is spending a lot in electricity bills! Another friend had a gas smell coming from the basement and it was crazy all the owners told everyone not to report it or they would need to shut off until who knows when. I was shocked because if they can smell gas it's dangerous. But they wanted to call in a private company to fix it and not alert Metrogas. So a private person fixed it instead of the gas company which just shuts off the gas and gets around to it months later when they can.
Wow that is crazy. That's a tough spot to be in. Damned if you do damned if you don't. Either do the "right" thing but wait months with no gas, or go private and find a way to fix it w/o metrogas knowing and the possible hazards and dangers but getting it resolved quickly. If they called Metrogas to turn it off, but hired the other service to expedite the repairs, they'd probably still have to wait who knows how long for Metrogas to get around to turning it back on.

Makes me think Argentina is like living in this episode of The Simpsons
:)

Wow that is crazy. That's a tough spot to be in. Damned if you do damned if you don't. Either do the "right" thing but wait months with no gas, or go private and find a way to fix it w/o metrogas knowing and the possible hazards and dangers but getting it resolved quickly. If they called Metrogas to turn it off, but hired the other service to expedite the repairs, they'd probably still have to wait who knows how long for Metrogas to get around to turning it back on.

This type of thing is actually is common here where buildings don't want to alert the gas company and try to fix it on their own. They are going to get charged either way so they figure better to get it fixed quickly vs. slow. Maybe things have improved. I haven't had to deal with any gas issues and haven't heard any friends lately that complained but a few years ago it was very bad.

Very true @FuturoBA. Sometimes it's a damned if you do or damned if you don't situation. I think when Metrogas actually sees some issue they just turn off the master line or put some lock on it where it's impossible to turn it back on without their cooperation. Fortunately gas issues are very rare. Only have seen it happen a few times but very very frustrating when it happens to you.

Definitely can be like that Simpson's episode!

Very true @FuturoBA. Sometimes it's a damned if you do or damned if you don't situation. I think when Metrogas actually sees some issue they just turn off the master line or put some lock on it where it's impossible to turn it back on without their cooperation. Fortunately gas issues are very rare. Only have seen it happen a few times but very very frustrating when it happens to you.

Definitely can be like that Simpson's episode!
Off topic but speaking of the Simpsons, sure seems that Argentines love their Simpson memes. I see it all the time on X and reddit.

I do see them all the time on X. I never got into watching the Simpsons but the stuff I have seen is pretty funny.
You are missing out, definitely the first 8 seasons were the golden years. The next 25 or so has gone to the toilet. I think also many Argentines don't watch it but are familiar with the characters and memes more so than the show itself.

You are missing out, definitely the first 8 seasons were the golden years. The next 25 or so has gone to the toilet. I think also many Argentines don't watch it but are familiar with the characters and memes more so than the show itself.
Yes the first 7-8 years were awesome! I was curious how there are so many memes. None of my local friends watched the Simpsons regularly.

Back